Chapter 1: School

If I never Knew You

Chapter 1

School

"You have your pack?"

"Yes." She held up a backpack with a colorful set of pony's on it.

"You have your lunch?"

"Yes..." It totally didn't match her backpack. This one had several robots on it. She liked a wide variety of cartoons.

"You have your..."

"Uncle Gadget! I have everything you laid out for me on the table." Penny giggled as she trotted next to her uncle. It wasn't even the first day of school, this was an open house. But even Penny didn't know what that was. But Gadget used it to train her.

Gosh he had long legs. Her small five year old legs could barely keep up with him. At least she had her hand in his or she would have been lost in the crowd.

Today there were hundreds of people trying to get into the school. At the moment a lot of the parents and children stood outside of the school waiting for the next group to go in.

"People with the last name G!" Finally it was their turn. They had been out there for an hour. He felt sorry for the people whose last names were Z. they would be out there for hours.

The school wasn't big really, it had enough room for a thousand students. Which meant the classes were pretty sizable.

Penny's fingers held onto Gadget's much longer pinky finger. In his hands he could hold both of hers. It was something he thought was so adorable.

Penny had turned 5 not too long ago. She wasn't a tall child either, it wasn't because she didn't eat. Her mother was small too. Gadget liked to think it was because of his grandmother. She was quite small too.

"You'll be waiting for me outside the school right?" She was also very shy. How was she going to get over this part? If she didn't she wasn't going to make a lot of friends.

"Of course." Gadget gave her a reassuring smile. These two had been inseparable since the moment she was placed into his arms.

Stopping outside the glass room that was covered in construction paper to look like a small pond with 18 little ducks with various names on them. One of which had Penny on it. The much larger duck had Ms. Wilson on it.

"Ms. Wilson?" Penny had a knack for reading, actually it was told to Gadget that she was quite smart for her age and it didn't help that Dr. Anthem would sit down and read to her often. Penny had begun to pick up words as she went. Apparently it was how she taught her kids to read too. Even some basic math. Penny was going into Kindergarten knowing far more than she would let on.

"Good morning." The teacher said in a sing-song voice as Gadget brought in Penny.

"Good morning, Ms. Wilson." Penny said in a low voice.

"You can go find your desk. You have paperwork for your dad to look over and sign over the weekend." Ms. Wilson said.

"Uncle. I'm her uncle." Gadget told the teacher.

"Will her parents not be coming? Too busy? It does happen after all."

"I'm afraid her parents died in a car accident just before she was born." The horrific nature of this conversation wasn't something Penny wanted to hear. So she went to find her desk. She could see the horror on the teacher's face after the words were spoken.

Gadget never indulged the idea that Claw was her father. What horror would be had if she knew this man that was running rampant in the underground was her own father. So he kept her away from him and a secret it would stay. Even if he had to play dumb to get the job done.

"Alright then Ms. Gadget we'll be seeing you on Monday then alright? You have a list of items you'll need for your first day of school." Oh this was going to be horrible. Penny already knew she wasn't going to like it here. She looked around the room as the teacher went over to another set of parents and their crying child.

"Open houses are boring. I thought we would learn something. I thought I would stay today." Penny admitted. Gadget chuckled as he picked her up. It was so easy in his arms. The hydraulic lift function replaced the old ones he had. They were far too easy to pull apart. It was far better now.

"Alright kitten, let's go get your stuff for school.