Chapter 4

I flinched at the sudden yell, who on earth would scream 'tasty' on a train? I stayed close to Tanjiro, he seemed just as surprised as me. I looked over to where the shouting was coming from, a tall man with hair that reminded me of tempura was eating beef bento boxes and declaring to the whole train how much he was enjoying them...is this the almighty flame hashira we wanted to meet..?

"Ahem...hello sir...?" Tanjiro said politely.

The flame hashira's head whipped around, he looked like an owl! Huge eyes and eyebrows and a large grin was painted across his face. Honestly, I felt intimidated by him, so I clung tightly to Tanjiro's leg for protection. Tanjiro gave me a reassuring pat on the head.

"Sir..are you the flame hashira..?" Tanjiro questioned nervously.

Somehow, this big man's latge grin grew larger. "Yes! I am Kyojuro Rengoku, the flame hashira!" He beamed. "You must be the boy travelling with a demon!"

I feel my heart sink...Tanjiro, the boy I trusted so much, travelled with a filthy bloodthirsty demon? I felt scared, I wanted to cry. Is that what's in the weird wooden box on his back? Do Zenitsu and Inosuke even know about this? I slowly back away from Tanjiro and cling next to Zenitsu instead. Zenitsu looked at me with a concerned face, he could tell I was confused and upset.

"I'll chat to you later, alright y/n?" Zenitsu whispered. I nod in response.

Finally, Tanjiro responded. "Uh, yes  Nezuko...well my name is Tanjiro Kamado, these are my friends: Zenitsu Agatsuma, Inosuke Hashibira and y/n l/n! I came to find you because I hoped you could tell me a little about sun breathing!"

Rengoku smiled at all 4 of us. "Please do take a seat! And if you're hungry help yourself to as many beef bento boxes as you wish!"

Inosuke instantly grabbed about 5 boxes and rushed to a seat, giggling to himself excitedly. Zenitsu glared at Inosuke before grabbing 2 boxes and taking me over to sit with him and Inosuke.

I sat opposite them, still on edge after gearing a demon was in Tanjiro's box, and still hurt Tanjiro travelled with demons even though he knows the dangers of them...

"Y/n, can I talk to you now?" Zenitsu said gently while handing me one of the beef bentos. I nod, unable to find my voice because I would cry if I tried to talk.

"I noticed you tensed up after Mr Rengoku mentioned Tanjiro carrying a demon about. Well he was talking about Nezuko, Tanjiro's little sister."

I frown. "That's still not ok...she might eat me!" I was trembling at the thought of having the same brutal fate as my family.

Zenitsu sighed. "Please listen, Nezuko sees all humans as her family. The wind hashira taunted her with his flesh and she turned it down although she's probably starved! She's a beautiful and strong lady who would never hurt anyone, especially me, I'm her husband-to-be~" Zenitsu blushed profusely while ranting about Nezuko, it weirded me out..

"You...proposed to a demon..?" I question.

Suddenly Inosuke spoke up, spitting food everywhere as he spoke with his mouth full. "Nah, but he hasth a massthiff crusth on her!!" He laughed, his words unclear as they were blocked out by the food he was still chewing.

I giggled as Zenitsu turned even redder and shot another glare at Inosuke.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Around 30 minutes later, a man burst through the door and screamed in terror. "THERES A MONSTER ON THE TRAIN, HIDE YOUR FAMILY!" Everyone screamed and ducked under the table. Mr Rengoku immediately stood up. "Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Inosuke, come quick. Y/n, stay here and hide." The once cheery and enthusiastic man seemed stern and serious. Inosuke and Tanjiro stood up and quickly followed behind and Zenitsu...burst into tears.

"HUH!? I THOUGHT WE GOT ON THIS TRAIN TO LOOK FOR DEMONS, NOT RIDE WITH THEM!? OH WHAT DO I DO..I DONT WANNA GO!!" He shrieked. I look at him with pleading eyes, I was frozen in fear and needed him to go fight that demon... he quickly shut his mouth and sighed, wiping his tears with the sleeve of his haori. "Alright, I'll do this for you y/n, just keep safe until I get back.." He then ran after the others.

I decided to take a nosy at the fight so I peeked my head through the doorway and watched. Mr Rengoku quickly sliced at the demons neck...and it fell right off. The demon was dead. Just like that. The demon's corpse disintegrated into ash and everyone stared at the flame hashira in awe. I dash into the carriage and jump up and down in excitement. "Mr Rengoku, that was awesome!! How did you kill it so fast!? That was amazing!!!"

Rengoku chuckled. "Thank you little one, I'm not a hashira for no reason!"

Tanjiro stepped forward. "Mr Rengoku...perhaps once we're off this train, could you teach us? Teach us how to fight like you?" He said, half begging.

Rengoku pat Tanjiro lightly on the back. "It would be my pleasure young Kamado! I'll gladly take all of you under my wing to train you up!"

Inosuke started jumping up and down with excitement and chanting, "YAY, BIG BRO, BIG BRO!!" which made Tanjiro, Zenitsu and me join in. Mr Rengoku seemed like a great guy, I was inspired by him!

We all walked back to our seats to rest. I sat with Zenitsu and Inosuke as I did before the demon attack, it started getting late and I was sleepy, so I cuddled under Zenitsu's haori. He squeezed me and decided to also get some sleep. Inosuke saw me getting cozy and Zenitsu out cold so he decided to use Zenitsu's lap as a pillow and he stretched his legs across the rest of the seat. I laugh slightly at him getting into this position. Inosuke gave my nose a quick poke. "Boop!" He grinned before throwing his head back and almost instantly falling asleep.

Maybe I was wrong...this train doesn't seem too bad at all now that the demon had been slaughtered...I'll just get some sleep and we can have more fun in the morning, I could ask Mr Rengoku what it's like being a hashira! I could tell him I want to be a hashira just like him when I grow up!! Once we get off this train Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Inosuke and I can spend tons of time with him, I look forward to it...