I swear

Vigraha was standing in front go the King. "Your wife has spend a night with another boy and still you want to marry her?" He asked. He was too angry on his father but he tried not crossing the line because there are still chances that King Devapala gives his useless son in law the kingdom instead of Vigraha. 

"Marrying her doesn't mean that I'll forgive her and her spending the night with that boy doesn't mean that she is impure now" The King said. Vigraha looked down. He had to obey his father. "Now leave and inform Princess Meghasree to come and meet me" Devapala commanded. Vigraha left. He asked one of his maids to inform Meghasree to meet his father. 

There was a knock on the door of Meghasree's room. A daasi came in and told her that the King wanted to meet her in his chambers. Why his chambers? Meghasree thought. She decided on taking Satyavati along with her. She went to Satyavati's room. "Why do you always obey him? Satyavati asked Meghasree. Satyavati hated the idea of going to the king's chambers when no one would be around. "Because if I don't he will not marry me and if he doesn't marry me no other King or prince will marry me and then because of me you also won't get married. Father would disown both of us" Meghasree said.

Both Meghasree and Satyavati were standing in front of the King's chambers. "Come in" the King commanded. Both of them obeyed the order. "I asked you to meet me alone, Meghasree" Meghasree didn't like the emphasis on the word 'alone'. "You can tell me whatever you want to in front of my sister" Meghasree said politely. The King nodded and started speaking "I heard that you stayed overnight in the island with a young man. What was his name? Something verma. Do you have no shame? Your to be son is questioning your character!" 

Meghasree took a deep breath and before she could say anything Satyavati spoke "How could question my didi's character only because she spend a night with someone? Indraverma helped her. He rescued her. And he is much better than you" The last part of the sentence she whispered to herself. The King was enraged. He was going to say something when Meghasree said "Satyavati, leave. Right now!" Her voice was calm. Satyavati wondered how could Megha be so calm even after such an insult. Satyavati left the room. She decided that she would hate the prince and The king from now on. She was very angry. How could Vigraha spread rumours about Megha and Indraverma. Even though Satyavati knows that Indraverma is worth more than the King, at least to her sister but that doesn't mean they'll do anything wrong. She knows her sister is sensible. She won't fall for anyone that easily. 

She stormed inside Vigraha's chambers and even before any guard or Vigraha himself could say anything she started speaking "What do you want? Do you really want to ruin my sisters life, my life? If the King will not marry didi and if he  no other King or prince will marry her and then because of her I also won't get married. Father would disown both of us. Why did you tell him that didi was with Indra? Why did you make him get the wrong idea?" Satyavati said it all in one breath. "Calm down" Vigraha said. That's the same thing that everyone tells Satyavati, to calm down. Vigraha didn't know how to react. He wasn't expecting that his father would take any action. After Satyavati quite long dialogue he was actually feeling sorry for both of them. "I am sorry" He said. 

~~

"He had rescued me that night. I was senseless. I didn't even know he rescued me. After I woke up I got to know his name" Meghasree lied. "I hope what you said is true. You can leave" The King said. Meghasree left. She had to Indraverma about the lie, in case King asks him and they get in trouble. His room was in the smaller castle which was across the rose garden. She tiptoed out of the castle to go to his room. She had to cross the garden. She tried making as less sound as possible.

~~

There were sounds coming from near the rose garden. Vigraha's room was near the garden so Satyavati and Vigraha could hear the sound of someone walking on the crisp fallen leaves. Vigraha thought that it might be a fox or maybe a thief and he looked down from the balcony. Satyavati also looked towards the garden. It was Meghasree. She was sneaking inside Indraverma's room. "That's didi" Satyavati said. "I didn't guess it wrong then. She does have something to do with that man" Vigraha said. 

"No! That can't be true. She would never do something like that" Satyavati paused for sometime and then said "Please don't tell this to anybody. Please" Satyavati begged. 

"I won't. I swear" 

"On?" 

"On.....you?" Vigraha said. 

"No. You can't do that. What if you break the promise and I die. And why would you even care if I am alive or dead?" Satyavati asked Vigraha.

"I am not so heartless" He said. He wanted to say that he does care whether she's alive or dead but he didn't. 

"But then you should consider my part also. I don't want your sister to marry my father" Vigraha said.

"Why?"

"Because after marriage if your sister has another child my father will have another heir. When my unborn brother grows up he might take the throne which is supposed to be mine from me. He might demand half of my kingdom. I don't want that." He said. 

MiMi