Chapter 10

I woke up quite late today as I was tired; it's good that I went to sleep early as I didn't catch a cold or fever.

Adrian went to his office before I woke up, so we'll be having dinner together.

I got a text from Michael saying that our plan's in place for tomorrow's party. I kind of feel bad, but it doesn't matter if Adrian is a good person or not; he did make my life miserable by marrying me against my will when he could've easily avoided that.

Not a day goes by when I don't feel empty inside. I can't continue to live in this loveless marriage.

Just the thought of gaining freedom had me all fired up. I didn't go to the bakery today as I had to go dress shopping and had some minor preparations to do for tomorrow, which included getting my nails done.

I had breakfast and went to the nail salon. It took me around an hour in there, and then I headed to a boutique as Adrian had told me to.

Apparently, he is going to help me select my dress so that it matches his, which doesn't make any sense as he is going to wear a black tuxedo like every other male guest.

Adrian: Did I make you wait too long? He says as he enters the boutique.

"It's alright; I just got here myself," I say, getting up from the seat where I was previously waiting for him to arrive.

Adrian: Then, shall we?

He offers his hand, which I take reluctantly. We enter the boutique, and Adrian sits down on a sofa while I go with the assistant to get my measurements taken.

I don't know what kind of dress I am going to wear, so I think it might be better to ask about his preferences.

Adrian: Pick whatever you like; I'm here just to give a second opinion. You know what kind of dress would suit the occasion, so go right ahead. If you don't want to do it yourself, the stylist will select a few for you. It's your choice.

I don't want to go through all the hassle myself, so I decide to go with whatever the assistant gives me to try on.

There are some good gowns, but most of them aren't really to my taste. Adrian doesn't seem to like any either. Then the assistant brings a shorter dress for a bolder look. I don't understand the need, but at this point, why not? I step out of the changing room to get his opinion. It seems he's on a call.

The stylist clears her throat to get Adrian's attention. He turns around and glances at me, and instead of saying something, he just turns back to, I presume, continue his conversation.

I mean, I get that I'm no supermodel, but at least try to show others that you are in love with your wife. I internally scoff.

However, Adrian doesn't continue with his conversation.

Adrian:... I'll call you later. He says as he turns to face me.

Stylist: This is for a "bolder" look since the madame doesn't seem to like the longer ones.

Adrian: Um, what do you think? He says as he sits on the cushion.

"I think it's too short, and the laces will be a work." I plainly state as I'm still irritated by his nonchalance.

Adrian: It certainly looks good on you. He says after sparing a glance at the dress.

Gee, thanks for finally looking at your wife

Gee, thanks for finally looking at your wife. I think as I roll my eyes at his comment.

"How would you know? You aren't even looking properly." I reply in an offended tone.

Adrian: Oh, I looked. We can buy it.
He says as he adjusts his tie.

"Why? I don't think it's appropriate to wear to the party." I question while taking another look at the dress in the mirror.

Adrian: You can wear it somewhere else.
He shrugs his shoulders as he says this.

I adjust the top, as I feel it could slip at any moment.

"I don't think so. I'm going to change." I tell him and proceed towards the changing room.

I go back inside to change into the next gown, but before I can do so, the assistant brings another gown and asks me to try that one instead. I put it on and step out.

Adrian looks at me and then at the dress. After a pause, he asks.

Adrian: Do you like it?

"Yeah, it's beautiful and proper, and it suits the occasion perfectly. She could have brought this out in the first place." I complain as I admire the dress.

Adrian: Actually, I chose this gown. I thought you'd like something like this. It looks beautiful on you. He says as he comes behind me and gives me a warm smile.

What is wrong with me? His smile almost made me smile just now. Get a grip, Amy.

"... Thanks, then let's get this one," I say after clearing my throat.
I go back inside, take the dress off, and put on my clothes. There's just one problem: I can't zip my dress as it's stuck, and the assistant went away to get the dress ready for purchase.

"Umm... Adrian?" I call out hesitantly.

Adrian: Yeah? Is something wrong? He asks as he comes a little closer to the changing room.

I muster courage and say, "I need your help."

Adrian: Are you alright!? What's wrong?

His voice sounds like he's worried or something.

"I'm fine It's just that I can't get the zipper up," I reassure him that I'm alright.

Adrian: I'm coming.

He steps into the changing room. I am standing facing the entrance, and my back is towards the wall.

"I'll turn around," I say awkwardly.

Adrian: There's no need for that. You aren't comfortable with that. I'll do it this way.

I look up at him questioningly.

Adrian steps towards me and reaches forward as if to give me a hug. He reaches forward to hold the zip, but his hand accidentally brushes against my bare back. I don't know why, but it sends shivers down my back, and I flinch unconsciously.

Adrian: Sorry. He apologizes but doesn't retract his hand.

"'It's alright," I say as I avert my gaze.

He then carefully takes the zip and zips up the dress. It's too stuffy in the room. Did they turn up the thermostat? My face is so warm.