Chapter 12

Adrian's POV*

I have just finished a meeting in my cabin and have some free time so I take out my phone to call her. I change my mind as I don't wish to disturb her. Besides, she might get irritated by me and I don't want that today. Maybe there will be a day when she is happy to talk to me.

I vividly remember when I first saw her; she held her father's hand and had a candy in the other. We didn't get along at first because I thought she was stuck up, but turned out she was shy. Gradually, we became friends. I was a frail kid back then, and even though she was shy; when it came to standing up for the right, she would do that without hesitation. We attended the same school, and whenever anyone would bully me for being sensitive, she would stand up for me.

 One time both of us got beat up because of that. She was bleeding, but she was more concerned about my scratches. We would play together; I helped her with her math homework, and she protected me from bullies. I used to hate sweets, but she would offer me candies with that puppy dog look in her eyes. I simply could never refuse. She was the only friend I had until my family had to move because of my dad's business. As I started making friends, I slowly forgot about her. She became nothing more than a distant memory for me.

When we moved back, as Dad decided to shift his business for good, I was in high school. I had decided to join Dad's company. Hence, I didn't even have time to go out with friends. In my final year of university, I saw her. She held hands with her father and had a candy in the other hand. She was so beautiful, and when she laughed, she looked so radiant. She hadn't changed a bit. She was still that cute little girl, smiling at her father with warmth.

I was flooded with all those memories that we shared. Alas, that time was behind us now, and I thought it would be better to stay on our individual paths, as it would be selfish of me to show up and ask her to be friends again. I thought that I would go on in life, cherishing those moments. I graduated and joined the company. 

During that course, I had girlfriends, mostly because their families wanted to join ties with our company to expand themselves. I didn't care about that; I had no intention of marrying because I had so much more to do and accomplish. Besides, I don't need love to have sex. The girl didn't mind either; it was a cycle of dating for a month and then moving on to another. 

I was satisfied with my life for a while, but then I began to feel like something was missing. I missed her. She must be happy in her own world, but without her beside me, it feels like the world could end tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference. I was feeling empty, devoid of emotions. At first, I thought I missed my friend and that it would be alright to contact her again. 

Soon I realized that it wasn't friendly love but something deeper. I didn't know what to call it. It couldn't have been love, I thought. We haven't seen each other for years. I must be crazy to think I love her more than a friend. It turns out I am crazy.

I asked Steltz to acquire every bit of information on her so that I could catch up with her life events. She has had two boyfriends and was dating someone named Michael. I couldn't approach her when she was already in a relationship, so I thought about waiting, but as fate would have it, one day my dad asked me to get married, which understandably I denied. 

However, that didn't last long, as just a week later, Dad brought up the subject again, and before I could deny it, he showed me my "to-be wife's" picture. I was taken aback initially, but after a brief moment, I feigned ignorance and made a show of asking him about her. He told me everything I already knew, and I told him I'd think about it. There was nothing to think about. I agreed just a day later.

I knew she might have been under pressure to accept the proposal as her father's company needed financial aid, but at that moment, I couldn't help but be selfish and think about my happiness. I put a contract in place solely to provide her with some security for the time being, as it would be null once she decided to stay with me forever. I know I could've denied it, and Dad would still help his friend, but I purposefully didn't. As I came to learn later, she despised me for it. She didn't love me. 

But I am not just anyone; I am Adrian Carter. 

I will make her love me. 

She is mine, and I am hers today and always.

While I took a journey down memory lane, time passed by quickly. I finished the remaining meetings and headed home.