"Playlists"

"Why is winter break always so short," Cassidy groans, resting her head on her palm, and poking at the lunch food with her fork.

"I know! It's like they're purposely trying to burn us out or something." Regina reasons, "No reason I should have 4 classes worth of homework on the day back from break. It's bullshit."

Just as Regina exclaims that, Cady, Gretchen and Karen walk by, all three of them giving Regina a weird look. Regina gets red with embarrassment but tries to ignore it.

"I can't believe I've never asked this before but, what kind of music do you like?" Cassidy tries to change the topic.

"I don't really know. I keep listening to different stuff. I used to listen to this playlist Gretchen made me filled with like Taylor Swift, and Boygenius but I don't think I can listen to that playlist or those artists in general without thinking about her. What do you like?" Regina turns the question on her.

The brunette taps her chin for a minute before she answers, "Well I like a lot. But I primarily listen to nineties music because my mom got me into it when I was really little."

"Nineties... like the pop side of it or the grunge side?" The blonde asks.

"Both, I like Britney Spears a lot, but I also really enjoy, like, Green Day, eh, Nirvana, Foo Fighters... Probably Weezer"

"I've heard of those. They're probably good if you like them." Regina thinks, "do you have any good song recommendations?"

"Yeah, here," Cassidy extends her hand, asking to see Regina's Spotify. Regina placed her phone in Cassidy's hand.

Cassidy smiles before she starts adding songs to a playlist, that she enjoys, but also thinks that Regina would enjoy too. It's a little hard, since their music tastes aren't that similar, but she based her choices off of what she thinks deep down.

Regina just watches as Cassidy puts the songs in, wondering what songs she's going to put in. She watches as Cassidy carefully taps the phone screen, but even then, her eyes start to get bored and start to wonder.

Cassidy's hair was in two braids, thrown over her shoulders. Her bangs were parted to the side, and little strands of hair hung down from the sides. She was wearing a tighter-fiting red babydoll top and dark brown bell-bottoms. Regina hadn't really realized it earlier, but the shirt really showed off her figure.

That had Regina looking in all the wrong places, which made her feel not only really flustered but also very guilty...So, she put her head down onto the table while she waited for Cassidy to finish her playlist.

Why was she being so weird with Cassidy all of a sudden? Regina couldn't understand. Of course, she did have a past of being emotionally volatile. And she never truly understood any of her feelings since she always rushed into things rather than savoring them like others would. Regina was seriously confused by the new-ness of it all.

It was unlike anything she'd felt with Aaron or Shane, who were her boyfriends in the past,  but unlike anything with Gretchen or Karen. The only relationship it felt like was Janis. It had Regina thinking about it all.

Janis was rarely a bad friend, and with Janis, Regina could always be herself. Janis was accepting, and kind. But with everything that happened and some weird feelings on not only Janis's behalf—they weren't friends anymore.

Is that what these feelings were? Regina asked herself , the same ones she felt when she kissed Janis at that party—which even though she said it was to make a guy jealous, she actually really genuinely liked the kiss, and looking back, really liked Janis. Regina's eyes widened.

Regina really didn't want to ruin her friendship with Cassidy because she couldn't keep her stupid feelings at bay. She didn't want to lose someone else. Regina decided that for her sanity, she had to stay quiet about the fact that she had a crush on Cassidy... She could always just fantasize about it instead. No one would have to get hurt. Well, no one, besides Regina. But she was good at hiding certain emotions.

"I'm done," Cassidy said with a sing-songy voice, handing Regina back her phone.

"Took you long enough," Regina laughed, taking back the phone.

"I know," The brunette rolls her eyes, "Just listen to it when you get home, alright?"

"Will do." The blonde smiles, looking at her phone again, and the lockscreen she grew so fond of.

-----

Regina found herself mindlessly scrolling on her phone, and remembered the playlist that Cassidy made her. So, she opened Spotify and opened the playlist titled 'for Regina ♡' jeez. Even the title made her heart flutter. Gosh, why was she such a mess for Cassidy? But why would Cassidy put a heart there, unless— unless you're just being delusional, Regina thought

There were songs like 'About A Girl' and 'Love Buzz' by Nirvana, 'I Just Threw Out The Love of My Dreams' , 'O Girlfriend' and'(Girl We Got A) Good Thing' by Weezer, 'Im Like A Lawyer With The Way Im Always Trying To Get You Off' by Fall Out Boy, 'Girls & Boys'  by Blur,  and 'The Blonde' by TV Girl.

Listening to the songs, Regina felt like most of them had more of a romantic undertone. She was probably just reading into it too much.

Regina placed her phone into the bedside table and shoved her face into the pillow, groaning. She decided to just sleep. She flopped over onto her side, pulling the covers over her body and turning off the light before she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.