007. Heartbeat on the Highline

( All-American Bitch )•──── Chapter SevenHeartbeat on the Highline*·̩̩̥͙✩*➶°

•──── Chapter Seven
Heartbeat on the Highline*·̩̩̥͙✩*➶°

HEARING THE LAST NAME O'CONNER being spoken into Brian's phone only proved to make the whole situation more heartbreaking as Kailani sat in the passenger's side of the blond's car

HEARING THE LAST NAME O'CONNER being spoken into Brian's phone only proved to make the whole situation more heartbreaking as Kailani sat in the passenger's side of the blond's car. Did she ever really know him? Or was she just a temporary perk that came with the job?

Breaking her out of her self-pity, she heard her heartbreaker speak. "Lani, they need Dom's number." Her silence prodded him to ask again. "Lani."

Anger boiling, Kailani repeated the ten numbers that were planted in her brain with a numb look on her face.

She blocked out his voice as he kept communicating over the phone, a horrid reminder of just how little she knew. This was his job, he was a cop. He lied to her for months, listened to her feelings and issues like they hurt him. Made her believe he cared and fell for her. She hated him.

So why did she still love him?

It was an easy answer— Because you couldn't fall out of love with someone that easily. She fell in love with every part of him, every moment, every smile. Her soul was entangled with his now, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Brian wished he could take it all back, more than anything. Lani was his everything, the second he met her he felt it in his bones. Like he was made for her. It was inescapable and quite honestly, he didn't want to try and deny what he felt. Even with the complications she brought to his job. He'd do anything for that girl, but then again she'd have to speak to him again first.

Halfway into the impromptu road trip, the blond attempted to break the silence. "I'm sorry," he started off bluntly, "Lani, you have to know—"

"I don't wanna talk about it," she cut him off, eyes ahead as the Sun began to rise.

His face dimmed. "Kailani—"

"Don't," she breathed, nose burning as she could feel oncoming tears.

"I never meant for any of this to happen to you, to hurt you," his eyebrows furrowed as he struggled to focus on the road, wanting to look her in the eyes.