Chapter Six

Jess was already off to work before I dragged myself out of bed. And with one look in the mirror, I was glad for it. Dark puffy bags surrounded my pale green-gray bloodshot eyes. Even the most expensive under-eye cream couldn't help me. My tangled and matted, wavy chestnut hair had an Einstein look going on. The normal pale skin of my cheeks was pink and raw from the salty tears. I desperately needed a shower.

Thankful that I had the day off and didn't have to rush. I stood under the scalding jets of the water, allowing the dirt, ache, and pain to flow away.

You are safe. You are happy.

I repeated the words as I washed myself, willing myself to believe them. The heat of the water and the scent of strawberries and vanilla filled my senses. My body relaxed and feelings of comfort replaced the emptiness.

I stood in the jetting stream, letting the water trail over me until it turned cold. Emerging into the steamy bathroom, I felt like a new woman.

The relief of the shower was short-lived, though, and I was jumping at every creak of the house as I milled about. I tried everything from cooking to watching a movie, but the fear crept in no matter what. After a couple of hours of it and knowing that Jess would not be home soon, I decided to go shopping. Nothing, some retail therapy couldn't help. And at least there would be people around.

                                                             ***

The hustle and bustle of the mall did the job. And I allowed the weekend shopping crowd to sweep me away.

I hit all my favorite stores, gathering new books and a cute new dress. I was normal, and for once, it felt good. Mary and Mark would be proud. Maybe I was too hard on them, and they were simply doing the best that they could.

My cell phone buzzed from my pocket. It was Jess.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey! Where are you?" she asked.

"The mall."

"Oh, good." I knew she was grateful that I wasn't wallowing. "Dave wants to know if you want to go out with us tonight?"

Dave was Jess's boyfriend of 5 years. And a doctor at the hospital I worked at. I often felt like a third wheel on our outings, but neither of them ever made me feel that way. Plus, knowing Dave, the adventure could range from a hike to a D&D meet to a club.

The last being my least favorite, but right now I can use the crowd and loud music to my advantage.

"Sure, what did you all have in mind?" I inquired.

As if I willed it into existence, she replied hesitantly, "Well, I know you hate it. But there is a new club that he wants to check out."

I smiled. "Sounds great!"

"Really?!" She sounded surprised, but rather than press it added, "Awesome! I'll let him know. I'll meet you back at the house."

"Yeah, see you then." The new dress was already paying off, now I needed new shoes.

                                                ***

"You look amazing!" Jess squealed as I came out of my room.

I blushed. I felt amazing. Dressed in my new dark hunter green halter dress and my new black Mary Jane heels. The gold leaf earrings and gold chain necklace that held a pendant with a small daisy pressed in resin. Heavy mascara and ruby lips completed the look. "Thanks."

"That is most definitely your color!"

I smiled and did a spin for her.

"Yes!" she clapped.

The blush on my cheeks grew darker. "I am excited."

"Really?" Jess asked, again suspicious. "I know you hate the crowds."

"Trust me right now. This is exactly what I need," I answered honestly. Changing the subject off me, I added, "You look beautiful!"

And she did. She was yellow, dressed in a sundress that clung to all the right spots. The yellow fabric brought out her blue eyes and tan skin.

"You are so sweet!" She walked over and looped her arm in mine. Her phone dinged, and she pulled it out of a hidden pocket and smiled up at me before reading the text. "It has pockets! Oh, Dave is outside, let's go!"

We sauntered out the door, arms still locked, laughing. Dave whistled as he saw us, causing us to laugh harder. Dressed in a two-piece suit, which I am sure was the same outfit he wore to work. His sandy blonde crew cut was perfect, as always. He looked every bit of the perfect boyfriend.

"Are you all trying to get me into a fight tonight? Cause I am going to fight guys off the both of you."

My adrenaline spiked at the mention of a fight, and my smile dropped a little. Jess must have sensed it, as she squeezed my arm. "We can handle ourselves, mister," she warned him teasingly.

"Understood!" he laughed, opening the car doors for us. "I'll be back up then."

"Perfect," Jess said, before stretching up and planting a kiss on his lips.

He kissed her back. Jess released my arm and wrapped her arms around his neck, deepening their kiss. Used to their PDA, I slid into the backseat quietly, giving them their space.

Slowly, they unwound themselves, and Jess climbed into the passenger seat. Dave closed both of our doors and hopped into the driver's seat. "Everyone ready?" he asked.

"Yup," Jess said, looking back at me. Her eyes twinkled in the dark. And tears stung my eyes as I felt her happiness. It was obvious how much in love she was.

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, let's do this." 

                                              ***

The packed club and blasting music had the calming effect I had hoped it would. But it drowned out any thoughts of conversation. Dave and Jess pulled me, reluctantly, away from the safety of our table and onto the dance floor. Dancers jostled me as they hopped and moved with the pounding music. I fought against the waves of fear with each touch. Lights flashed all around us as the music thumped until I could feel it in my chest. Only Jess's hand on my arm kept me from fleeing and slowly I gave into the chaotic movement.

I closed my eyes and turned my head toward the ceiling as I swayed with the hypnotic beating. I smiled to myself.

Everything is fine. I am safe.

Someone pressed up against my back. I kept dancing, ignoring my screaming sense.

It was just a dance floor; it was just a handsy club goer.

Rough hands ran up my arms. Ice flooded my veins. The stench of rot filled my nostrils. Fear halted my movements, and my eyes flew open.

Darkness surrounded me.

"Hello, again, little witch," Duncan whispered into my ear.