Chapter Seven

Music still played somewhere in the distance. I could feel the heat from the bodies surrounding me. I could feel them, but I could only see black. No one seemed to notice what was happening.

"You are braver than I thought," Duncan whispered. "Or you are just stupid."

My stomach rolled as his acrid breath enveloped me. He pressed a frail, sunken cheek against mine. I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound formed.

Why could no one see me? Why was no one reacting to the dark? Maybe he pulled me off somewhere, and no one noticed.

The music changed and people hopped around me, letting me know I was still on the dance floor. I could feel the floor bounce with the movement and felt their bodies brush up against me. All oblivious of what I was experiencing.

Why couldn't they see me? Why can't I see them? Where were Jess and Dave?

Waves of disgusting breath blew against my skin, gagging me as Duncan laughed. "They're bewitched. They see and hear only what I want them to. There is no one here to save you this time," he answered my thoughts.

I opened my mouth again to speak, but my lips couldn't form the words. I stood there paralyzed and helpless under his spell. He kept me blind, unspeaking, and still. My heart pounded in my throat, strangling me. I felt helpless, but I would not give up easily.

My mind raced as I tried to figure out a plan. Suddenly, I realized he could read my thoughts. Even if I don't understand it, I would use it to my advantage.

What do you want?

As I had hoped, he answered my thoughts. "You, of course."

Why?

"Because of the power that flows in your veins," he whispered. He sniffed my shoulder and sighed. I shivered.

Why is everyone so convinced I have some kind of power? If I did, I was sure my life would be better than it is.

I have no power.

"You do. I can smell it," he assured me. "It's like nothing I have ever seen or tasted before."

My heartbeat raised with his words.

I don't. I am nothing.

"Little witch, I assure you; you do. It is actually a travesty that you don't know it. But that is of no consequence because I will have it. One way or another."

What do you mean?

"You can either give me what you have willingly, or I will take it," he answered.

Seeing my opening, I fought to calm the pounding of my heart.

If I go willingly, will you let my friends go?

He buried his nose into my shoulder and sniffed. "Yes," he purred, his voice becoming animalistic. He sniffed my skin again, losing his concentration. My hand twitched as his power over me lessened.

The music changed again to a heavy slower tune, and the crowd switched to a slower movement. I willed them to see me.

"Then I'll go," I croaked.

"The power flowing from you, it's delicious," he whispered.

I swallowed the bile that rose in my throat. My fingers moved stiffly as the spell weakened.

"Eve?" Dave's voice called through the darkness.

Finally! I breathed a sigh of relief.

Duncan growled.