Excerpt

Her crescent eyes remained wide open. She wasn't sure why she could not move. Whether it was the dark, crimson eyes staring at her in the dark that had managed to paralyze her in fear or if what ever it was had actually done something to prevent her from moving.

She did not know.

All she knew was that she needed to run. She needed to run home as fast as she could and-

A low, dark, cynical chuckle resonated from the darkness. From where the glowing crimson eyes stared at her, menacing and manic.

"Run?," then she heard a voice, just as dark and menacing as the eyes that stared at her. Whoever....whatever it was, she found it very familiar. "Run where, my rosebud?,"

Rosebud.

She finally understood why his voice sounded so familiar. Her skin erupted in little goosebumps as the cold night seemed to turn even colder.

"Wonderfully done! You remember me!," a shiver crawled up Lily's spine as she seemed to realise she had not spoken a word to whatever it was having her under some kind of spell.

He chuckled again, deeply. Devilishly.

"I must commend you, rosebud," he said, his voice playful as though he enjoyed her reactions. "I do not know whether to call you foolish or brave for doing what you have done. You awakened something dangerous far beyond your knowledge or understanding."

She took an involuntary step towards him and if it were possible for her eyes to widen more than they already were, they would have.

She took more steps closer to the darkness, where the menacing red eyes still watched her keenly.

Closer. Closer...

He was controlling her body! How?

She could almost hear the amusement in his voice when he spoke again.

"It is because you belong to me, my rosebud," she was before him now, close enough that if she reached her arm out and felt into the darkness, she could probably touch him.

His crimson eyes dilated as though she had given him the best idea. "Touch me..."

He reached his hand up and Lily flinched, tears forming at the corner of her eyes which she had shut in fear.

Though still afraid, she could not deny his touch hadn't been anything she had expected. They were cold and firm, resting gently against her cheek.

His touch caused her to open her eyes, curious to see who he was.

He stepped forward, letting the dim moonlight shine on him, allowing Lily to see what he was. And when she did, her heart involuntarily fluttered, her eyes fixatedly staring at him.

He stopped only when he stood inches from her. There was a calm, yet unnerving ghost of a smile on his lips as he looked her over.

"Do you understand that, dear rosebud?," he said. "You are mine."