Chapter Four

**Harry's POV**

"You do as you're told, boy, if you know what's good for you." I panted as I looked up at my father, the chaos of people's screams and laughter echoing in the field beyond.
"Look here, boy, you will swing this bat and make it till the end. It's your destiny. Now SWING THE DAMN BAT!" My father threw the bat at me, and it slipped through my fingers. Laughter surrounded me as I watched my father walk away, disappointment etched in his posture."Harry, watch out!" I looked up too late. The pitcher's curveball swooshed towards me. I couldn't move or breathe, sweat dripping down my body. Everyone was laughing and screaming, but all I could think about was that I couldn't move."You're such a disappointment, like your mother, Harry." I closed my eyes, bracing for impact.

I jolted awake, panting, in my apartment. Alone. My alarm blared as Daisy, my black cat, purred by the bed. I pushed back my hair, noticing the sweat. Another nightmare about my father. Sighing, I pulled Daisy onto my lap, cuddling her as she slowly went back to sleep. Unable to rest, I saw it was 5 AM. I gently put Daisy down and got ready to work out. I threw on black sweats and a hoodie, prepped my pre-workout drink, and set the cat food dispenser. Grabbing my headphones, I locked the door and headed out. The streets were dark and cold, the crisp air welcoming as I walked to the gym. I enjoyed the solitude, but the silence was loud, my mind racing. A few cars drove by as I reached the gym. The front desk was empty. Good. I warmed up in the locker room, and my phone rang. It was Louis.

"Hello?" I answered, setting the phone down and prepping for arm day.

"Harry, mate! He's up, everyone! The dark, mysterious Harry is up!" Louis's voice boomed. He was probably with Kurt and Niall, partying as usual.

"What do you want, Louis?"

"Oh, don't be cold, Harry. I need help. Or rather, your girl Mia does. Kelly? The short blonde girl?"

"Yeah, what about her? And she's not my girl."

"Harry," Mia's high-pitched voice interrupted, "I miss you. Your boys are nothing compared to you."

"Hey, listen, no one wanted you. Of course, we don't compare," Kurt chimed in. Bored of the conversation, I hung up and continued my workout. Half an hour passed, but I was unfocused. the girl from the airport still lingered in my mind. After she ran into me, I couldn't forget her scent—sweet, like raspberries or flowers. She looked genuinely confused, her face turning red when our eyes met. Frustrated, I finished my workout and checked the time: 8 AM. A few regulars had arrived. I nodded at them and returned to the locker room. My phone rang again. Mia. I debated ignoring her but remembered her last stunt.

"Yes?" I asked, exiting the gym into the cold air.

"Harry, baby, please, let's talk. Let's meet up, please," she sobbed. We met in freshman year, just messing around with no real relationship. But Mia took it too seriously.

"Mia, you're drunk. Go home." I was about to hang up when her crying intensified. I closed my eyes and dragged a hand across my face. "Fine. Send me the location. Not your house."

I didn't have time for this. Between 18 credits, working out, practice, games, and Daisy, there was no time for Mia. She texted me a café address and a slew of messages, which I deleted. Back at my apartment, I showered and changed. Daisy lay in the kitchen, basking in the sunlight. I made my bed and grabbed my things. After scratching Daisy softly, I left for the café, Bean Haven. A line had formed, but it wasn't for coffee—it was for Mia. 

She saw me and called out, "Babe, over here!" Cringing at the pet name, I ignored her and approached the counter. It was the girl from the airport. Her big brown eyes behind thick frames were enchanting.