ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

The Allure of Glory.

   BEFORE LONG, PERCY JACKSON RETURNED, carefully navigating his way to the sleeping bag Luke had set out for him. Luke nodded towards the bag that he had left him. "I stole you some toiletries from the camp store."

    Percy, looking uncertain as to whether or not Luke was joking, opted for a cautious "Thanks."

    "No problem," Luke replied with a smile. "Tough first day?"

    "I don't belong here," Percy admitted. "I don't even believe in gods."

    "Yeah," Luke said. "That's how we all started. Once you start believing in them? It doesn't get any easier."

    Percy looked taken aback by the somber tone behind Luke's words.

    "So are you also..." Percy began tentatively. "Do you not know who your..."

    "Am I unclaimed?" Luke finished for him patiently. "No, Hermes is my father... That doesn't matter, we're all of the same team here. Rory here's been here almost as long as I have and she's still unclaimed."

    Rory shot Luke a glare for throwing her under the bus and dragging her into a conversation she had been very much content not participating in, but Percy's hopeless look softened her expression.

    "How long have you..." Percy trailed off, his question left unfinished, probably fearing he'd offend her.

    Rory pulled the leather necklace around her neck out from underneath her shirt, showing him the four different-colored clay beads. "Four years," She answered with a nonchalant shrug.

    "Why is that okay?" Percy asked in indignation. "Why do they get to bring us here to just ignore some of us?"

    The kid made fair points, and echoed the sentiments of many campers, but unfortunately for them, the gods' motivations were apparently beyond their mortal understanding.

    "You spend too much time trying to figure out why the gods do whatever it is they do you'll drive yourself crazy. The sooner you stop worrying about that the sooner you can enjoy what this place actually does offer."

    "And what's that?" Percy asked.

    Luke shot a cocky smile toward Rory before answering the new camper, "Glory." The word hung in the air, tantalizing and alluring.

    "Demigods have always fought for glory. They used to call it kleos. It's like this stuff that attaches itself to your name, makes it bigger, scarier, more important. People listen closer when you talk," Luke explained, as a group of them filed out of the cabin. "They work harder to be your friend, and they think twice about messing with you."

    Just as he had uttered those words, a girl harshly bumped into Percy's shoulder. A small noise of protest escaped Percy, but instead of an apology, Clarisse turned and pushed him to the ground.

    Clarisse, along with the other Ares kids, had quite the reputation around camp. All of them were mean and tough and were easily recognizable not only because they were always glaring, but also their penchant for camo jackets. Although Camille was usually the type to mind her own business, Maddie had always been desperate for Clarisse's approval. Today however, neither of Rory's friends were a part of Clarisse's pack of bullies.

    Luke intervened before Clarisse could do any further damage, "Knock it off Clarisse, it's like his first day, come on."

    Rory helped Percy to his feet, and he murmured his gratitude while brushing off bits of twigs and leaves from his clothes. Recognition dawned on Clarisse as she realized Percy's identity. "Wait, so this is the kid who killed the Minotaur. Is that right?" she asked in disbelief.

    "Yeah?" Percy responded hesitantly, unsure how to handle the intimidating girl.

    "I'll bet," Clarisse sneered, turning to her half-siblings and giving them a look that said, Can you believe this kid? She turned back to Percy, taking a step toward him. "Look, you want attention around here, dummy? You better be ready for it when it comes." She feigned a lunge toward him, laughing as Percy flinched away before pushing her way past them, Rory watching her go with crossed arms and a clenched jaw.

    "Well, she seems nice," Percy shrugged sarcastically.

    "Ares kids," Luke explained with a sigh, watching them saunter off in search of their next target. "They come by it honestly."

    "Why don't they mess with you?" Percy asked curiously although the question just seemed absurd to the others.

    "They know better," was Luke's response, accompanied by a tilt of his head and a smirk.

    "Luke's the strongest swordsman at camp," Chris told Percy.

    Rolling her eyes, Rory added, "You keep telling him that, and he'll start thinking the sun revolves around him."

    "Well—" Luke started with a grin but Rory's glare cut him off, though the smile lingered.

    "So they leave you alone because 'glory'?" Percy asked. "So if I get glory Clarisse wouldn't mess with me either?"

    "Exactly," Luke nodded, though acquiring said glory was easier said than done.

    "And people would think I'm a big deal?" Percy continued, evidently crafting some sort of plan in his head.

    "Well sorta, but—" Luke began to say.

    "And my dad's got no choice but to claim me!" Percy finished, looking very proud of himself for coming up with such a plan. Rory sure wasn't going to be the one that was going to shatter his dreams. She shared an uncertain glance with the others.

    "You can't force the gods to do anything," Luke tried to explain, cautiously, to avoid disappointing him.

    Percy, seemingly unaffected, responded, "Well yeah but it would make it harder for him to pretend I don't exist, right?"

    "Maybe..." Luke replied, leaving the prospect uncertain.

•••

Clarisse introduction ayyy. Clarisse will be Valentine's future love interest, but we'll get more of their relationship when I write Poly Philtate which is Valentine's pov!

•••