Prologue Part 1: Sophie Goes to Hollywood

"There's husbandry in heaven" - Shakespeare, W.

High school was over. Sophie had graduated without the least bit of knowledge that would aid her in her quest to direct films. But, she knew she would never be able to start a career without the right contacts. She needed a network. She needed film school.

The airport was crowded, parents running after ignorant small children, tired children running after confused, aging parents, heavy bags were loaded onto belts. A little boy screamed at the top of his lungs. Sophie tried to stay focused on her parents' worried faces.

"There are film schools here too, you know." Her mother said in a last attempt to keep her from getting on the plane to California, to Los Angeles, the city of Angels, Hollywood, the city of dreams, or lost ones. Sophie was naturally cynical.

"Mum, I'm sorry but I need to do this!" Sophie said and after hugging her parents goodbye, she stepped out of their range and walked through the security gates. Instantly, a flush of freedom washed over her and made her take a full, teeth-freezing breath as she made her way through the stuffy, perfume-filled air of the small airport.

She knew she had made the right choice. This place wasn't big enough for her. It was not big enough for her dreams. She knew that the University of Southern California was the place for her.

...three years later....

"We will present which students have won apprenticeships this year. A quick reminder, the apprenticeships will go to third years. Especially in the film program. For the apprenticeship to the West California Documentary Suite, Philippa Hamilton. The chance of joining the Short Film Co-op of LA is awarded to Eliza Burr. The final, and most prestigious, apprenticeship as an assistant to Award winning Director Yvonnne Beck goes to Sophie Wasa. Congratulations!" Sophie took a swift sigh of relief and nodded as she turned around to see her best friend Sam running towards her, his arms open in an embrace.

"I didn't doubt you for a second." He said, squeezing her tightly.

"I did." She said curtly and laughed.

"What a fantastic way to start the celebration of our birthday." Sam said as they walked home.

***

"We need to get that door fixed." Sophie said as Sam used the weight of his body to push the blue apartment-door open.

"Nah... We've spent all our money on the party tonight. I had to prioritise." Sam snorted. He had spent months planning their birthday party. Really, he had had years to plan the day Sophie turned 21 and he turned 24, ever since they met at orientation as first years and found out they had the same birthday, Valentine's day. And 21 was an important birthday, apparently. It really was outrageous that two poor students of the fine arts like Sophie and Sam prioritised having a grande, venue-based birthday party. Especially since Sophie would rather sit at home, watching one of the films she's watched a dozen times before. But, Sam was eccentric and good at advertising his ideas.

"Emily says she won't come home before the party. She'll come straight from work to the venue." Sam said as he buttoned up his shirt and walked into Sophie's room.

"Does she want us to bring something else for her to wear?" Sophie asked as she brushed her hair.

"I don't know." Sam said and looked confused.

"Well, didn't you ask her?"

"Why would I? Ask her yourself." Sam said and exited the room with heavy steps.