Chapter 2: The Only Man In The Sky

"You sure you wanna go see her?" Bethany asked me after I called her on the phone the next day. "Not really but...it must be important if she's contacting me." I said. "I'm not sure if I like it." Bethany said and I giggled. "I'll be okay, Mom." I laughed, sarcastically. "Hey, I know you can handle yourself but...I still worry." Bethany said. "I appreciate it." I said as I pace along the living room.

"If you want, I can come along with you." Bethany said. "You sure?" I asked her. "Yeah, and after that, we can go out for drinks. In honor for Ben." She said and I smile. "Okay, you've twisted my arm." I said. "Great! I'll come by and pick you up!" Bethany said and I laugh a little then hang up as I go to get ready.

*3rd Person POV*

M.M. hears a knocking at his door and he goes to answer it. He opens it and sees Butcher standing there, his hands behind his back, and he lets out a sigh. "All right, mate?" Butcher asked him and Janine, M.M.'s daughter comes up next to her father. "Bloody hell, Janine. You shot up. You remember your Uncle Billy, don't you?" He asked and the girl stares at him before nodding, slightly.

"Here. I got this for you." Butcher said as he pulls out a box of a Lego set of Vought tower. "You and your dad can build it together. 523 pieces of family fun." Butcher said and M.M. glares at him.

Later, Janine starts on working on the Lego set while Butcher and M.M. talk. "Okay, one, you don't just pop up here. You call first. And, two, eff Soldier Boy. I don't give a mothereffin' doo-doo how he checked out." M.M. argued. "Ah, bollocks. He didn't die like no hero. I'll wager he went out on his knees, begging like a right cսոt." Butcher said. "What the f..." M.M. grumbles then he exhales a she gesture to his daughter, who heard them. "Sorry, love." Butcher tells her then he continues to talk, quietly.

"Look, if there's a weapon out there that killed Soldier Boy, then it can kill Homelander. And that's got to be worth something. Now, we're working our way through his old team. Frenchie and Kimiko are starting with the Crimson Countess, and I'm gonna hit up Gunpowder and Mystic Shade." Butcher said. "Sounds like you got everything covered." M.M. said. "This ain't just anyone. It's Soldier Boy. You could close the book on him once and for all. For your dad. Your family." Butcher said.

"Fuck off with that shit." M.M. growls then he starts to breath, heavily, before he continues. "My father died hunched over a desk, obsessing over a dead man, while he was ignoring his two living children. And I almost did the same thing to her." M.M. said as he gestures to his daughter and Butcher looks over at her then back at his old friend.

"Thanks for coming by." M.M. said and Butcher sighs. "You're doing a bang-up job with her, mate." Butcher said and he goes to leave but then M.M. sighs. "Butcher, hold on a second. I might have one thing." He said then he goes to his room and into his closet and pulls out a file that his father had on Soldier Boy.

Meanwhile, (y/n) and Bethany enter Voughtland and see all the kids running around, laughing and screaming, as their parents try to keep up with them or buy them the overpriced food and merchandise. "It's crazy here." Bethany said as her and (y/n), who was wearing jeans and a hoodie with the hood up, walk along the park. "Yeah, Vought has gone more chaotic with The Seven than they did with Payback." (Y/n) mutters as they walk.

"You jealous?" Bethany asked her and (y/n) scoffs. "Fuck no." She said and Bethany laughs as they go to the theater, where there was a poster that advertised the showing of Soldier Boy's life. (Y/n) stops and stares at it as a memory pops up in her head.

Flashback

*(y/n)'s POV*

It had been months since Ben and I were sent overseas with the army to help out what we could. But we also did some film and photography for Vought as they brought a filmmaker and a photographer to get us to recreate certain moments of the war. And in between those moments or fights, Ben and I got to know each other a bit better. He was a bit cocky and full of himself and a bit rude but...he had this charm about him that I was attracted to.