Chapter Four

"Here, put in your number so I can text you tomorrow." Adam handed me his phone after parking in front of my house.

I quickly typed in my number and saving it to his contacts. I placed a hand on the car door handle, but before I could even fully open the door, my name was being called out.

"Ingrid!" My mom was rushing from the front door to where I stood next to the car. She planted herself in front of me before pulling me into a hug, her face filled with worry. "Where the hell were you Ingrid? Do you know how fucking worried I was?" She raised her voice, "What happened to you?" She asked as she looked at the wet clothes I was covered in, my hair still dripping slightly. I remained unaffected by her worried tone.

This is when Adam decided to get out of the car, he had a guilty expression on his face as my mom gave him a curious look."Hi Mrs. Ortiz, I was just giving her a ride home." He held out his hand for her in greeting, she shook it hesitantly.

"And you are?" Her voice trailed off.

"He's just a friend from school," I answered quickly before he could say anything. It was bad enough that I was home later than I was supposed to be, I didn't need her knowing that I was also taking rides from strangers.

"Where's your car Ingrid? Why are your clothes wet?" She looked between the two of us for answers.

"I had to leave it at the beach, I'm going to get it in the morning, don't worry." I sighed heavily as I pulled my backpack out of the backseat. Here comes another interrogation.

"Why the hell is it at the beach? Were you there? Is that why your clothes are wet? What were you trying to do Ingrid?" My mom's voice cracked while saying my name. I noticed her eyes watering as she studied my face for answers.

"I just went for a swim, with Adam." I said nonchalantly. "Right Adam?" I looked over at him with my face reading 'pleaseee lie for me.'

He noticed my pleading expression, hesitating before answering her question. "Um, yeah."

My mom narrowed her eyes at me, "I'm not stupid, Ingrid." She signed and messaged her temples. "Can you tell me what happened?" She asked while looking back up at Adam.

He cleared his throat while looking at me for confirmation, I closed my eyes in defeat and shrugged.

"She accidentally fell into the water, I jumped in to help her." He admitted truthfully.

Her eyes widened at his revelation. She looked over at me like I was a lost little puppy desperate for a home.

"Fell?" My mom looked hurt by his words, and he looked back at her confused. I wondered if he would be able to figure out why she suddenly held so much fear in her voice.

"Fell?" She repeated again, softly this time, looking at me for confirmation.

"It was an accident," I said annoyed. I already knew what she was thinking, before we even pulled into my street I knew the thoughts that were racing through my mom's head. "Thanks for the ride, Adam. See you tomorrow." I waved without looking at him and made my way back to the house. I could hear my mom thanking him for something before she rushed in after me.

"Ingrid." She was trying to get my attention, but I really wasn't in the mood today. I kept walking to the other side of the house to get to my room.

"Ingrid!" She called out desperately. I let out a sigh before turning back around to look at her.

"What."

"Please talk to me, mamas. Tell me what happened." She stood in place, her pleading words shooting needles into my heart. I felt so guilty, but I couldn't help it, I was just so tired. Tired of her worrying, tired of her begging me to open up, tired of her wishing that I could also take the place of my dead sister.