44

Dear Sirius,

She needs you, I'm going away for a while. But trust me I don't do it lightly, I need to do something and it will help I promise. Evan has been awful, barely engaged and already throwing threats about. She is ready to leave meet her by the black lake tonight. Take her away Sirius and look after her she needs help and I'm sorry that I can't be the one to do it, promise me you will never raise a voice in anger to her and you will love her until you're dying breath.  I fear I won't return from my trip, if I don't know that I did this for the good of the war. I can't explain but if I am successful you will know what I did. Just know I am truly sorry for whatever pain I've caused you and addy. And you were right I should've tried harder, so this is me doing that. I have always loved her Sirius, I guess I'm sorry for that. But she means far more to me than anything in this world so let my last words spoken be ones that help her get away and be happy.
Take her far away Sirius and never look back.
Remember, 7pm the black lake. Please don't keep her waiting.

Yours, regulus.

"What's that?" James asked as Sirius held the letter over a candle.
"A letter from my mother."
"Did you read it?" Sirius watched the flames take over and dropped it into a bowl.
"I didn't even open it. It's got the black family crest on the letter. I know it's from her. I won't let her try and poison me again."