Conference

When we entered his office, Sumberland shut and locked the door behind him. As I opened up my phone and facetimed my boss and coworker, he made sure the room was secure so no outsiders could hear any confidential information. We sat down and prepared for the meeting to commence. Once Ritman and Kyle pick up, we can begin.

"Hello there Lydia" Ritman greeted once he and Kyle had both answered. "You wanted to speak with us?"

"Correct. I have Jack Sumberland here with me and I wanted to pitch an idea. First, I need to explain everything to you first." I tell him. He gives me the go ahead to begin the explanation. I cover everything from the train ride here to right now in as brief of a summary I can.

"And that's all so far. Did you catch all of that?" I ask the others.

Kyle nods and Ritman responds, "I believe so. That was quite the story. I'd appreciate to know about something like this sooner though, like while it's happening. They're potential threats, you said you think they're spies right?"

I nod. Ritman nods in response also. "Yeah, definitely something I should know about earlier. You're not in trouble, you are one of our best agents after all. This is just for the safety of the agency and even yourself, that's all Lydia."

"You're right. I apologize and thanks for being so understanding." I reply.

"Now, let's not waste any time. What's your idea?" Ritman asks.

I'm glad we get to hear my idea, it sounds exciting, so I hope he approves it. I start my explanation, "So I think I'm neither on the good nor bad side of those spies. They think I'm a detective for their nation. Maybe I could use that lie to my advantage to collect intel. What better way to find sources and plans than to be on the inside? So what if Sumberland helps me to be able to work with them on some crime cases. I know they didn't outright say they're spies, but I'd imagine Sumberland could get in contact with some higher up who does know them and their agency. So what if said person tells them 'I have a job for you, but you'll need to work with a skilled detective' and bam, I walk in and they're surprised and are thinking 'hey, I know her already. Okay, this isn't so bad.' And so they feel more trusting to let me know what their jobs really are. I work with them for just long enough that I can get all the information I need and then I can report back home."

They all are quiet and thoughtful for a few minutes. "That's not a bad idea, but we should weigh the pros and cons first. This will take longer than what we have already planned out for your stay, you know that right?" Ritman states.

"Yes, I'm aware." I respond.

"Are you willing to stay longer?"

"I am."

"Are you willing to cooperate with these people?"

"I will do my absolute best to cooperate with them whilst hiding my true identity and intentions."

"What will you do if we have an emergency back in Relaria and you need to come back immediately?"

"I trust Sumberland will help with a cover for why I'm leaving, though I will contribute to this cover story. He will help make whatever excuse surfaces look more official."

Sumberland nods at that. Ritman is quiet and thoughtful for a moment. Kyle chimes in, "I like the idea, but do you think it'd be better if I were there to help too?"

"I think I can manage, but thanks Kyle." I say.

"You're also a top spy Kyle, I can't afford to send both of you over there where we have less control. Plus, we may need you here." Ritman cuts off Kyle's idea of joining me.

"I will do everything in my power to be helpful in this operation as well." Sumberland adds.

After a moment more of debating, Ritman finally agrees to it. I'm thrilled. I love starting new missions, it gives me a new excitement to move onto in my life. I thank him and we wrap up the meeting.

"Remember to update me regularly Lydia. I believe you can handle at least most of this yourself, but it won't hurt to keep me updated. Stay safe and smart. You know your training." Ritman says, then he and Kyle both sign off. Sumberland congratulates me on my successful pitch and reassures me that he's here for anything I may need as far as the mission goes. I thank him and he walks me out to the lobby where we say goodbye and I exit, cross the parking lot, and hop in my rental car.

I see that Natalia's car is long gone. I turn on some music and start driving back to my hotel. It's now about 11:50, the whole thing took almost two hours. I still have a whole day ahead of me to spend to myself. But I guess I now also have a lot more than just three days to myself here. We had guessed that this whole thing may take a minimum of two to three months if I really want to gain their trust so I can weasel myself into the more confidential information.

I drive back to the hotel and look up some ideas to occupy my free time. I'm going to make the best of the time I have until I'm called into my new assignment. I pick out a few things that look fun and are a reasonable price. I pack my things and get ready to go to these places and activities when I get a text from someone. I pick up my phone and it's from Sumberland in a group chat he made with me, Ritman, and Kyle. He said that he found a higher up and will contact him later today about my assignment and he'll tell me when I'm supposed to start working with the enemy agency.

I text back my thanks, pocket my phone, and walk out the front door. I lock it behind me and as I walk down the stairs to exit the hotel, I'm in thought. I never would've thought I'd be working for the enemy side. This may be interesting.