007, really

CHAPTER SEVEN: REALLY

"SO, WHY DID YOU CHEAT ON VALERIE?"

Up until that point, the talk had been going ok. Luce would ask him questions about his experience in the minors, he would squeak out answers and the conversation would continue. He was pretty sure that specific question would come up eventually, but he still didn't have a real answer to give her.

"Um, it's complicated," he replied, nervously scratching the back of his neck.

"I live for complicated," she said, raising an eyebrow. The two were currently standing out on the field, watching the grounds crew work on the grass.

"It's a long story," he muttered, not exactly in the mood to explain the entire thing to the small yet terrifying woman he had only really met 30 minutes ago.

"We have time."

"I was drunk," he admitted. "Like, really drunk."

She nodded, not judging him yet, but not giving him a reaction either.

"And stupid," he added, hoping that would help him get out of the hole he was digging for her to kick him into.

"And stupid," she repeated, still not looking at him.

"Yeah." He gulped and his eyes wandered over to a bat that was resting up against the wall of the dugout. The image of her beating him with that bat popped into his mind. He shook the thought out of his head and turned back to Luce, who was waiting for him to say something.

"Can you stop looking at me like that?" he asked.

"Like what?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Like you want to stab me and hang my organs up as decorations in your house," he replied, shifting uncomfortably under her gaze. Luce laughed, which made him feel even more uneasy.

"Oh, I like you," she said, finally cracking a genuine smile. Anthony was shocked, not only because she didn't actually want to stab him and use his organs as Christmas decorations, but because he had no idea why she would like him.

"You don't need to worry," she said, patting him on the shoulder. "I'm actually a very nice person."

"You have a reputation," he said and immediately regretted it. "I-I mean, I'm not judging you or anything, I'm just- I didn't mean it like-"

"Kid." She stopped him before he could continue rambling. "You're ok. I'm not mad."

"Oh." He relaxed, but he was still extremely confused. "Ok? So you're not gonna tell Val I'm a complete asshole?"

"No, I don't think I will," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. "But you still haven't told me why you cheated on her."

"I was drunk and stupid," he repeated, kicking some dirt with his foot. "I haven't picked up a drink since, if that helps."

Luce nodded and gave him a small smile. "She likes you, y'know?"

"Really?" Anthony's eyes lit up, and he felt himself blushing. He tried his best to hide it, but he couldn't. He was bright red and there was nothing he could do about it. He wanted her to like him, because even after all the time that had passed, he still loved her. He regretted the decisions he made every single day of his life. He missed her. He was scared of her, but he really missed her. Nobody knew this, or, nobody was supposed to, but he had a secret TikTok account that he used to watch her videos. He watched every single one, even if they were talking shit about him, because he just wanted to see her. He wanted her to like him. He wanted to make things better between them. He wanted her to know how much he still loved her.

Luce rolled her eyes, "Really."

🌺 🌊🥂

╰┈➤ ❝ LOTTIE'S NOTES

ew

E

W

there's no point to this other then i have no other ideas for this shitshow

anywaysss, hope you enjoyed!

comment and vote!

love ya,

- lottie.

published: 3/20/24