Prologue

"Hey you, you're finally awake."

I opened my eyes to see a Nord staring at me. He looked fairly young and had long, blonde hair with blue eyes. His outfit was blue and looked like some military uniform. He had dirt on his face and a solemn expression in his eyes. I looked around, confused as to where I was or how I got there. It was cold, that is for sure. I looked behind the Nord, where there was snow covering the ground. I knew from that that I must be in Skyrim, the land to the north.

Next to him was another Nord, who contrasted the first guy in almost every aspect. He had brown hair and dark brown eyes. His skin was tan, and his face showed a mix of worry and fear. He looked much younger than the first guy and nearly as confused as I was. I heard a sigh next to me and saw a third Nord—just what was needed—who was wearing semi formal clothing and a gag over his mouth.

"You were trying to cross the border right," the first guy spoke to me again. I looked over in his direction. "Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as us, and that thief over there." He nodded to the guy sitting next to him, whose expression changed from fear to slight anger.

"Damn you, Stormcloaks. The Empire was nice and lazy. If they weren't looking for you, I could have stolen that horse and been halfway to Hammerfell."

I was beyond confused. What about Stormcloaks and Imperials? I didn't know much about the history of Skyrim, mainly because I never planned on going there. I remember getting news about a group of people I had been looking for, who were located in Skyrim. I came this way to hunt them down. At the border, I was attacked by a bunch of Imperials. Then I woke up here. I knew that there was a little bit of an uprising in Skyrim, I realize now it may have been worse than I thought it was.

I should have listened to my brother and stayed home.

"You there," the younger Nord spoke to me. "You and me, we shouldn't be here. It's these Stormcloaks the Empire wants." I nodded to him, agreeing with what he was saying. I didn't mean to get caught up in some pesky bickering between two people. I just wanted to find a group of bandits.

"We're all brothers and sisters in binds now, thief." The first guy said, slight annoyance in his voice. I was quickly not coming around to not liking this guy. Didn't he know that I didn't belong with them? What did I do to be here? The thief made a bit of sense seeing as he committed a crime, but me? I hadn't committed one yet.

"Shut up back there!" I heard from behind me. I turned and realized it must have been the Imperial at the front of the carriage. He looked agitated and not in the mood for people to be bickering. Not like that stopped anyone.

"And what's wrong with him, huh?" The brown-haired guy asked, motioning to the guy sitting across from him and next to me. The one with the rag over his mouth. Just before I could ask why he does, the first Nord interrupted.

"WATCH YOUR TONGUE, you are speaking to Ulfric Stormcloak, the true High King."

"Ulfric, the Jarl of Windhelm? You're the leader of the Rebellion..."

That explained a lot.

"But if they've got you... oh Gods, where are they taking us?" The brown-haired guy turned to the first Nord in a panic, who, despite the situation they were in, seemed very calm. Almost, accepting.

"I don't know," the blonde one replied. "But wherever it is, Sovengarde awaits."

This caused me to sit up straight. Sovengarde? That's where Nord's go when they die, isn't it? What did he mean by it awaits...

I tried not to think too much about it. The whole situation was getting me stressed out. I tuned them out for a minute and instead looked at the scenery around the place. There were tall trees covered in snow, and plants grew up around the place. The path in front of us was made out of stone. I looked at the carts. There were at least four in front of us and another three behind us, though I am sure there are more I couldn't see around the turns in the path.