IX

PAIGE WAS dreaming. Dreaming of a wicked witch parading as a librarian and of a fairy world. She was dreaming of a beautiful Fae guardian with hair like fire, rescuing her from the queen of the Seelie Court.

Dreaming...and yet, as Paige rose to greet consciousness, she knew instantly that she wasn't in her bed. The mattress of her bed at Coeus was decent, not rigid and hard like the one she was currently lying on. And the spring digging into her back—

Paige pried an eye open to see a world tinted green. Green from the canopy hanging above, slivers of sunlight poking through the leaves. The scent of dirt and moisture-laden grass assaulted her nose. The air was dense and humid, sweat beading on her brow.

Memory of what happened hit her like a smack to the face. She hadn't been dreaming. She was still in the fairy world, where the queen of the Seelie Court tried to lure her into a game. To trap her forever, if not for Bellantiya.

Paige sat up with a gasp, clutching her chest and there were hands, pushing her to lie down. A flash of fire—blurry. Paige couldn't see, where were her glasses?

"Slow—you need to go slow."

"My glasses," Paige mumbled, squinting, "where are they?"

"Here."

A small hand thrust into her field of vision and she saw the familiar black frames. Paige pushed the glasses onto her face and the world blinked into clarity. She found Bellantiya and Baen peering at her, Baen so close their noses almost touched.

"When eyes are broken, you use those to see?" he asked, poking a lens with a little finger. Paige blinked and Bellantiya shooed the little Fae out of the way.

"She's not been awake for more than two minutes and you're already pestering her with questions," she said, clicking her tongue. To Paige, she said, "you must be thirsty."

The guardian's lavender eyes shimmered as she held out a makeshift cup made from tree bark with what looked like water. At least, Paige hoped it was water. Her doubt must have been evident for Bellantiya sighed and took the cup back.

"It is only water," the guardian assured her, "look." She took a sip from one side before passing it back to Paige. "See. Nothing."

"You're not human though," Paige mumbled.

"No, but this water comes from the river over there," Bellantiya said, pointing over her shoulder, "which means it's natural. Food prepared and served by the Fae is enchanted."

Paige sighed. "You keep saying things like that as you do exactly what you say I shouldn't trust." She set the cup on the ground and climbed to her feet. At least she remained upright and sure-footed. "Show me where the river is."

Bellantiya's lips twitched in a contemplative smile. "Clever human girl."

Baen stared at the human with wary curiosity. He stuck close to Bellantiya as they showed Paige where the river, which wasn't too far from where they'd made camp. Though Paige's head pulsed with a persistent ache, her thoughts and mobility were clear. Whatever spell the queen had put on her had diminished, though she knew the doll-like queen's hold wasn't completely relinquished.

The river drifted with a steady pace, the coolness brushing Paige's bare skin as she knelt on the grassy bank. Water as clear as glass, as crisp as winter's kiss, as delicious as mountain water. Thirst yawned open the moment the water touched her lips. Paige drank and drank and drank, and then washed her face, gasping at the shock of cold. When she was done, she put her glasses back on, sat back and folded her hands on her lap. Then she looked up to the sky.