The Forbidden Zone

Following season 1 episode 3 of Outer Banks. 

Kinsley;

"I need one of you to catch me!" I call. I put my foot into a crevice and pull myself up. My brother grabs under my arms and slowly pulls me out. Once I'm on my feet, I hand him the envelope. 

"It's from Dad," I quietly say. 

"Guys...I hate to say this, but code red! It's the two loons!" JJ exclaims.

"God damn it, John B! I knew we shouldn't have come here! I knew they'd be following us!" I angrily whisper. 

"Hiding won't do us good, run for the van!" We listen to JJ's advice and take off towards the van. Making it to the locked gate, we quickly started climbing over it again as headlights get closer to us. 

"Ouch, shit!" I cry. One of the spikes nicks my left hip as I jump down. I grab John B's extended hand and we run to the van. John B and I get into the back as JJ climbs into the driver's seat and pulls away. 

"What happened?" John B asks. I lift up my black t-shirt to reveal my bloody hip. There's a small gash that's bleeding pretty good. 

"First my forehead, now my hip," I mutter as I pull my t-shirt over my head, leaving me in a black sports bra. My brother holds the shirt tightly to my bleeding hip. I meet JJ's eyes in the review mirror and he gives me a smirk and a wink. Blush fills my cheeks, which of course my twin notices. 

"JJ, I'm going to run you over with this van when we get home," he angrily grits out. 

"I didn't do anything!" JJ innocently exclaims, letting out a giggle that doesn't help his case. 

We make it back to The Chateau, and JJ books it inside before John B can make good on his threat.

"Do you need me to carry you?" he asks. 

"I can walk just fine," I say, letting out a laugh. The two of us make our way inside. I walk down the hallway and into the bathroom, where I clean the gash and put a Band-Aid on it. I walk back down the hallway and into the kitchen, where JJ is making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...on moldy bread. 

"There's fresh bread in the cupboard, y'know," I inform, taking a seat at the island. JJ waves his hand dismissively. 

"I'll just eat around the mold. Plus, mold is good for you, it's a natural organism," he says. 

"How do you survive day-to-day? Honestly, JJ," I say. I watch him take a bite of the sandwich, laughing as he immediately gags and spits the chewed up piece into the garbage can. 

"Ready for this?" John B asks, coming to stand beside me. He rips open the top of the envelope and pulls out a folded piece of white paper. Unfolding it reveals it to be a map; a map of where the Royal Merchant sunk.

"There has to be something else in there. The envelope felt heavier," I say. I grab the ripped open package and pull out a tape recorder. I quickly press play

"Dear Bird and Butterfly," my eyes fly to look at my brother's as we hear our father's voice. "I hate to tell you, "I told you so," but, I told you so. You two doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment you two are filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourselves just yet. I didn't expect to find the Merchant, either. You two were absolutely right to call me out...I mean, I wasn't exactly Father of the Decade. What can I say, twins? I can smell the barn. Now, hopefully the three of us are listening to this in our new shack down in Costa Rica, living off of passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If something happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kids. I love you both, Bird and Butterfly, even if I didn't act like it. I'll see you two on the other side."