𝟢𝟣𝟥 | 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘮𝘪𝘦𝘴

We were seated outside the grill, enjoying breakfast together. The morning air was cool, but there was a palpable tension as Spencer made a mysterious phone call, adopting a Southern accent to gather information about Alison's disappearance.

Spencer: Hi. I'm planning a surprise visit for my husband, and he can't stop talking about the room he had during his last visit. Can you pull up that reservation? His name is Ian Thomas.

Emily, sensing the gravity of Spencer's call, whispered her question, her voice barely audible amidst the ambient chatter.

Emily: Why are you doing this?

Spencer: I think Ian and Alison were together the weekend before she disappeared. Do you remember how Alison was acting when she came home from visiting her grandmother? All giggles and tan?

Spencer's expression was serious as she revealed her suspicions about Ian's involvement with Alison before she vanished. It was like piecing together fragments of a shattered puzzle, each revelation bringing us closer to the truth. I remember that I found it weird and even have a discussion with Jason about it at the time.

Emily: Yeah.

Spencer: Ali hated old people, and Ali's grandmother lives in Georgia. Hilton Head is in South Carolina. She was lying to us.

Hailee: So what? Alison lied more than she breathed.

Emily: Do you think that was enough to make Ian want to permanently shut her up?

Spencer: Wow. I thought both of you'd be happy to hear it was anyone but Toby.

Emily: All Toby wanted was for me... and Hailee to believe him, and we didn't.

Spencer: Toby lied about a lot of things too, Em.

Hailee: If lying were a crime, we would all be in jail.

I interjected, feeling the weight of the secrets and lies that seemed to permeate our lives.

As Agent Cooper emerged from the grill, Hanna's arrival brought a momentary distraction from our somber conversation.

Emily: Agent Cooper. Good morning.

Agent Cooper: Hi. Beautiful day, huh?

Hailee: Looks like someone traded their wheels for heels.

I remarked playfully, attempting to lighten the mood.

Hanna: They are flat, but they are Ferragamos.

Her smile was a brief respite from the intensity of our discussion.

Spencer: Thank you.

Agent Cooper: The food in this town is to die for. I'm missing it already.

Hanna: Are you going somewhere?

Agent Cooper: I came here to find the person that killed your friend. Toby Cavanaugh may be out on bail, but he's not leaving town, and we have a solid case against him. So unless you have a reason for me to stay...

Hanna: We'll see you around then.

Agent Cooper: You girls take care.