08. backdown and commitment

the stars faded into the fog of midnight as clouds buried themselves in the darkest color of the night sky.

the moment jennie felt the cold breeze tingle the side of her leg, she rubbed open her eyes. the train had stopped moving and people were stomping to get off.

her eyes darted toward what was in front of her and saw jungkook staring back, his eyes bored but engaging, as he had been waiting for her to get up.

"we're here?" jennie fixed her hair behind her ears and checked the time on her phone. it was already midnight and she was dead tired. her back aches from the uncomfortable sleep position that she just had. she hates sleeping anywhere but her bed.

"you sleep quite well around strangers. make it out before the train leaves," he looked at the watch on his wrist and got up with his jacket around his forearm. he made his way out of the train before she did.

she rolled her eyes at his stirring behaviors. if it were for manager oh and her mistakes this morning, she wouldn't even tolerate his tantrum.

she didn't understand why he didn't just take his car or have someone drive him here rather than take the train. but he does things according to how he wants, and making people work overtime or go the extra mile was one of them.

jungkook and jennie met up with junhui, who was already at the busan train station entrance, waiting for them to take them to jungkook's condo.

on the way to his condo, jennie didn't speak or ask of anything as she was busy viewing the city lights and the moving waves of the beachside. she was fascinated by the little things that she came across because she was from the countryside, seeing the city excited her because they looked like fireflies.

jungkook on the other hand showed no interest in the city, busy streets, beaches, or just about anything. he grew up around these things therefore it was just a usual night drive to his condo except that this time, he was bringing jennie along.

junghui was even more shocked that jungkook was bringing someone along to his condo. he knows jungkook doesn't like company other than junghwa and would never show anyone his property even if it was his parents. to junhui, jungkook was very inclusive and still is ever since he was young.

"your room's over on that side, let junhui know if you need anything else. we'll leave at ten in the morning," jungkook asked junhui to show jennie her side of the condo.

jennie was still stunned from seeing how radiant, polished, and rich the condo was from the inside out. maybe because she thought she would end up in a hotel rather than here.

tiredly and leaving them, jungkook strode down the other hall to his room.

the condo belonged to both jungkook and junghwa. this was their safe place whenever they visited to Busan for vacation or when their parents fought about work and family.

the living room space and kitchen separate the two sides of the condo. on either side, it consists of a bedroom and bathroom. usually, the left side was junghwa's and the right was jungkook's.

jennie followed junhui to the left side of the condo and was shown around where everything was. she thanked him after he greeted her good night and headed out to the living room where he would be sleeping tonight.

she sets her tote bag down on the black desk surface of the almost empty neatly organized bedroom while focusing on the white gift bag on the end of the bed. curiously, she finds herself reaching over to seize it.

inside the bag was a white tweed mini skirt with a matching white tweed long-sleeve crop top blazar designed with three pearl buttons in the middle of the chest down.