Prologue: Memories

I remember that day clearer than any day in my early childhood. The whole district was lit up with hellfire torches that burned brightly with their strong warm glow. Food vendors had set up stalls in the market, selling food found all across the labyrinth for dirt cheap; groundlobsters, pickled pig's feet and popping peas. I led Eleutherix up to one of the stands where we bought a medium sized carton of popping peas for 3 silver coins. Large banners were put up to celebrate the momentous occasion with the clearly distinguishable "Vanguard" logo to celebrate our returning heroes. The guild had just gone and liberated a brand new section of the labyrinth, south west from our district, from the monsters. Soon, many rich people from this district would move out into the new district in search of a new life. Finally a trumpet sounded. Eleutherix grasped my hand, "They're coming!" he said. I had a huge grin smeared across my face as I nodded in approval of his exclamation. 

I could finally meet the hunters of legends from the S-Rank guild, Vanguard, the third highest ranking guild in the Hunter's Association. Warhammer (S+ Rank), the strongest man within the walls, crushed enemies with ease with his 400 ton battle axe. Even more impressive perhaps was his beard, stretching all the way down to his feet. Alfonso (S- Rank), the man who was turned into an elf, could fire arrows at an ant 100 feet away. Helga (S- Rank), the famed healer, who could cure almost any wound known to man with her advanced knowledge of healing magic. Axel (S Rank), who's mighty punches could almost make dents in the walls of the labyrinth itself. And the guildmaster, Theseus (SS+ Rank), who I was named after, an old, old man, seemingly fragile, but could wield Warhammer's axe with only a finger, fire at an ant from 500 feet away, could rival Helga's healing skills and could make a large dent in the walls of the labyrinth itself. Theseus was the strongest hunter of the era, and made absolute beasts like Hades the necromancer cower at his feet. All while being 236 years old. 

The crowd cleared from the middle of the street, making way for the hunters, who could be seen in the distance, approaching on horseback. As the shadowed figures of the hunters came to light, the crowd uproared. The department police force had to physically hold everyone back. Wooden signs of appreciation with guild slogans and messages were held up high in the air. Finally the hunters had approached the crowd. They dismounted from their horses, and the 5 were immediately showered in flower petals as they proceeded forward, smiling and waving at the crowd that held them in the highest regard. Suddenly Eleutherix bolted towards the middle of the procession where Axel, his idol, was. "Eleutherix! Come back!" I shouted, as I chased him, barging past the crowd.