2: The Brothers

Thursday, December 18

Iori's fingers tremble as he attempts to squeeze an exercise ball with his left hand. The soft rubber ball hardly shrinks even though the man is using all his might. "Ngh..." He groans.

"You're doing much better, Iori-kun." The doctor, Takanashi Otoharu, smiles at the younger boy before turning to his desk to write a report. "We'll continue this the day after tomorrow."

The very moment the door closes behind Iori, he lets out a big sigh. Mitsuki, who is pushing his wheelchair, can't help trying to cheer his little brother up. "Don't be that way, Iori. Takanashi-sensei said you're doing better. You couldn't even hold that ball on your first session, remember?"

"I know, Nii-san." Words come out of Iori's mouth quickly. He knows he's making progress, but it's just so little that it feels as if he is wasting time. He should have been attending classes instead of being around nurses and doctors. He should have been able to fully support Mitsuki and his cafe business, not the other way around. Worse, he doesn't even know if he will ever recover fully. Frustrated with himself, the young boy clenches his fist, digging his fingers into the trousers.

Having failed to cheer Iori up once again, Mitsuki's head flops. The brothers get home in complete silence.

~~

Just before sunset, Nanase Riku decides to stop at a small bar on his way home. After using a lot of brain power at the university, he needs a quick shot of sugar. He goes up to the bartender, and without looking at the menu, he says, "Um, hi, can I get an apple juice?"

"Coming right up." The green-haired bartender skillfully pours the juice into a glass and slides it to his customer.

Riku grabs the glass and drowns the drink in three gulps. He's famished. Without this, he doesn't think he can get home to dinner. Just when he's about to take his wallet out and pay, a loud noise distracts him.

"One more drink, Ossan!" Drunk Mitsuki slams his empty glass on the counter, demanding a refill.

"Nope." Instead of pouring his regular visitor more drinks, bartender Yamato takes the glass away. "You've had too much, Mitsu." His friend has been visiting his bar almost every evening or night ever since Iori got into an accident. Yamato knows why Mitsuki is here and sympathises with the fact that he needs the alcohol's feel-good effect to deal with daily life stress. But serving any more would turn pleasure into poison, so Yamato refuses. "Go home."

"Ugh, fine!" Half-heartedly, Mitsuki gets up. A dizzy spell hits him almost immediately, sending him to the floor. Shaking his head, he stands back up and walks a few tipsy steps before his legs flop again. Luckily, Riku manages to catch him and hold him up.

"Whoa, saved!" Riku sits the man back on the chair. He feels like he has seen that face somewhere before. "Wait, you are...?"

"Damn, he got way too drunk." Yamato, biting his lip, approaches the two.

"You're the one who gave me the chocolate lollipop. Iori's brother, right?" Riku asks, pointing at the wasted man's face. He receives no audible response.

The bartender is asserting the situation. He's the only one running the bar today, meaning he can't drive his friend home and leave the bar unattended. His gaze lands on Riku's face. There, he has found his answer, and hopefully one that works. The red-haired stranger appears to know Mitsuki's little brother, or at least know of him. He gives off a trustworthy vibe. Trusting his gut instinct, Yamato asks the man, "Hey, I can call the cab, but can you go with Mitsu? His house is pretty close. Your apple juice is on me."

"It's Fonte Chocolat, right?" Riku asks to make sure. In fact, he was already planning to walk Mitsuki home since he was worried.

"The one and only." Yamato nods, giving Riku a thumbs up. "Thanks. I owe you one." He might not look it, but he cares deeply about his friend.