7: Saviour

Saturday, January 17

The next day, Mitsuki finds himself on the front porch of Fonte Chocolat, sinking in a chair, completely drained. Yesterday was eventful. The Food Festival was a miraculous success for him. After making sure Tenn's panic attack had completely gone away, he drove him back to the Nanase Residence. Then, he celebrated with Yamato and Nagi late into the night at Yamato's Bar, continuously topping up their glasses with tap beer. Mitsuki did extend the invitation to Tenn, but Tenn was too worried about his little brother to be out at night.

Iori soon comes out to join his brother with some lemon soda. "Here, Nii-san. This will help you with the hangover."

"Ahhh! This hits the spot!" Mitsuki downs half a glass in one go, feeling more refreshed after the bubbles burst on his tongue. The drink is very much like all the beer he drank last night, except it is packed with sourness rather than bitterness. He got drunk. His friends also did. He didn't go over the danger limit, but seeing Iori's face makes him feel slightly guilty. "Sorry. I ended up drinking."

Iori chuckles. "I'm fine with you drinking as long as you don't go overboard. Plus, yesterday was a perfect occasion."

The word "yesterday" reminds him of the hug from Riku and it takes away the taste of the drink he's having.

"I'm sorry."

He hates that Riku apologised to him. It's frustrating. Infuriating, even. That guy is an idiot. He shouted at the top of his lungs that Iori was going to recover. He should have the strength to believe he's going to get better too. Instead of saying sorry to Iori, he should tell his twin the truth and start packing for the city.

"Right, can't be sitting around like this all day." Mitsuki springs up after finishing the glass, feeling fired up once again. "Gotta get more supplies. Get ready to reopen the cafe tomorrow. Maybe should check in on Kujo too."

"What happened to Kujo-san?" Iori recalls that Tenn seemed fine when Mitsuki dropped him off at the Nanase residence.

"He almost fainted opening up to me about his modelling life," Mitsuki answers, somewhat saddened.

"One has a physical problem. The other is psychological, huh?" Iori mutters under his breath as he gets into a deep thinking mode.

Is there perhaps something I can do?

Riku won't say he's at his limit. Can he convince him to do so? No, I already tried that. Iori shakes his head. Riku is stubborn as hell. Whatever solution he comes up with has to involve a hands-on approach. After a short while, he gathers his resolve and asks, "Nii-san, can I ask you a favour?"

"Of course, anything."

"Can you help me with more exercises outside the physiotherapy sessions? I need to get better faster."

Mitsuki sees resolve through that determined gaze. He doesn't know exactly what Iori has in mind, but he knows that whatever that is, there is no changing his mind.

"Alright, Iori." He gives his brother a firm shoulder pat. "I got your back. Always."

"...thank you, Nii-san." Iori would have expressed his heartfelt gratitude properly if he were not so shy.

-------

Monday, January 19

It isn't unusual for Nanase Riku to go for a light jog with his twin in the morning. He can normally easily manage a twenty-minute jog, but today, around ten minutes in, he finds himself placing his hands just above his knees in an attempt to draw in deeper breaths.