2. I Wanna Party

Veneer: "Come on! I wanna party!"

He grabs my arm, leading me excitedly to guys sitting at a table.

Guy: "Beer ok?"

I nod, not sure what other answer I should give. He hands me a beer, giving me a look that says leave. I step back as he grabs a seltzer for Veneer, opening it for him. The girls in line behind us are given the same treatment, which I take an astute mental note of.

Veneer sips his seltzer, looking up at me excitedly. He dances and sways in time with the music, moving his body in a way that has me in a slight trance. I had no idea he was so good at dancing, but I must say, I'm impressed.

Veneer: "Don't you just love this song? It makes me feel so free! I'm also like, so sober right now. I'd get a beer to get drunk, but I'd also never get a beer, because it has too many calories. Oh, um, but don't you worry about that."

He pats my hand, eyeing me nervously over his statement.

Kid Ritz: "I, uh, won't?"

Veneer: "Good. Let's go see what Velv's doing."

I let him lead me away from the drink table, having to maneuver awkwardly through the crowded living room. Veneer looks around until he spots her outside, taking me to the yard filled with more kids.

Jeez, how many students can they fill in a dirty frat house? Veneer skips up to Velvet, bouncing around excitedly.

Veneer: "Velv, I got my seltz."

Velvet looks at him, not seeming impressed.

Velvet: "Good for you, V."

Veneer looks at her worriedly, switching his weight between his feet back and forth.

Veneer: "I know the beers are too heavy, but I thought seltzers were ok?"

Velvet: "They are... alright. I hate the taste, though. So gross."

Veneer: "Oh, yeah, totally. So gross."

He puts the seltzer down on the floor next to him, holding his hands around himself. He seems to really care about what Velvet thinks; at the end of the day, it's all still alcohol, right?

Kid Ritz: "Hey, Veneer?"

He looks at me before quickly breaking eye contact.

Veneer: "Yeah?"

Kid Ritz: "Why don't we go find Rollie and Fred? I know they're probably up to something fun."

Veneer nods, looking at Velvet nervously.

Velv: "I'm going to stay here. Brandon texted me he's coming to see me. Hold onto the ring pop for me, k."

She pulls out the ring pop and uses it before handing it to Veneer. She looks at him expectantly until he uses it, shoves it in its case, and hugs her goodbye.

Velv: "Wait, we need a pic to prove that we were here."

She hands me her phone, knowing I already know the drill. We do a quick photo shoot, which honestly, is so pretentious, but alright. Once Velvet has her phone back, I grab Veneer's arm, leading him away.

I drag him inside and to the hallway, where there aren't as many kids to make me feel like I'm packed in a can of sardines. Veneer looks at his phone, scrolling through the pictures flooding into his messages from Velvet.

Kid Ritz: "Hey, you ok?"

Veneer: "Oh me? Yeah, I'm great. I'm having so much fun; I love partying."

He tries to sound enthusiastic but doesn't seem to believe what he's saying.