CHAPTER ONE (Alana)

CHAPTER ONE

Alana

Storybrooke, Maine. 28 years later

2011

"Coffee please be my savior today."

If any day I needed a savior, today would absolutely be the day. I didn't even taste test my coffee before leaving Granny's Diner on Main Street. I walked out the glass doors and got into my Mustang that once belonged to my father, but he's too much of a drunk to drive anymore. Thankfully he was with it enough to give me and my brother Jeffrey the keys to his car and sold his bike to Nate Stevens's son, Jon.

As soon as I sat in the drivers seat and turned the car on I took a sip of my coffee and instead of joy and happiness filling my veins it was pure disgust and disappointment. My coffee tasted like cigarettes and like it had been on the burner for far too long.

When your coffee is made wrong or tastes bad that's usually an implication of how the rest of the day will go. Poorly, in case you were wondering. I placed the cup in the center cupholder and drove to work, which thankfully was only a block away.

The moment I parked my car I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I opened it up and acted like I knew what to look for but honestly, I don't know the first thing about cars. I know they need to be able to start and ride smooth and when the gas light comes on I have to go to Hyde's to get gas and Jared Hyde fills my tank for me.

Oh this is just fucking lovely.

I closed the hood and sighed loudly. I'll get to that issue later on. Right now, I'm already running about 10 minutes behind for a meeting I have with Mayor Regina Mills in my office about her son Henry who's 11. But you'd think he's an infant the way she checks in on him constantly. I grabbed my bag and my coffee.

Even though my coffee tastes like shit at least I have sugar and some caramel in my office that I can add into it to make it go down a little easier. Hopefully that'll make this shitty morning go a little better-

Nope.

Never mind.

As I went to open the door it flung open and Mr. Thorne had been looking down until he heard the thud of my entire body against the door. His eyes nearly popped from his head when he realized that my white sweater now has a giant coffee stain all over it.

"Miss Bennett, I sincerely apologize. Here," He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief and started to blot my sweater but was uncomfortable clearly because it was all over my breasts. "I- I'm so sorry."

Breathing in through my nose and holding it for a moment before exhaling like my mother taught me to do when I'm pissed off, I forced a smile and nodded. If I punch an old man in the face even if he's usually an asshole it won't be good karma for my already bad day.

"It's fine, Al. I appreciate the gesture but I think I have an extra top in my office. If not, I'll thrown on a school hoodie." Thank the Gods that I ordered way too many sweatshirts and sweatpants to keep at the school incase of wardrobe malfunctions or if students break dress code. I can absolutely pull off rocking a Storybrooke hoodie today.

Once I finally made it to my office I was greeted by Regina Mills who was of course dressed to the nine's. Like always.

Her hair is never out of place and her red lips are never smudged. Her makeup has never looked cakey and I don't think that woman has ever had a wrinkle on her clothes or her body. She's perfect. And I fucking wish I was perfect like that.