volume 1

wake up

mikaela

it had been a week since guren and the japanese imperial demon army betrayed their comrades to unleash the 'seraph of the end', as they had called it.

a week since yuu became the lord of salt. a week since yuu had been forcefully possessed by asuramaru to prevent him from ending the world. a week since mika had finally found him again.

a week since yuu had woken up.

a week since mika dared to leave his side.

the group found an abandoned grocery store after running from the vampires and humans, both of which had a bounty on yuu's head. most of the supplies had gone bad or was already stolen, but a few shelf-stable items helped them reach an abandoned hotel. the team scavenged for food and clean water, and were lucky to find other necessities.

when mika wasn't carrying yuu from place to place, he was right next to him, basically clinging to him. as soon as they had gotten yuu into a bed, he'd taken his seat on the floor next to him, one hand reaching up to hold yuu's.

"how long do you think it'll be this time? im really starting to worry." the purple haired human- shinoa, whispered to the weak one- yoichi, peering in from the hallway. the door was broken off its hinges, providing them a clear view, even while sitting against the wall.

yoichi shook his head, voice weak. "last time, he barely touched that seraph power thing and that knocked him unconscious for a week. compared to this, it could be months..."

"don't say that, yoichi." the one with the glasses- kimizuki, chimed in, "he'll be back in no time. he has to be."

shinoa sighed, resting her head on the other girl- mitsuba's, shoulder. "i wish we could just go check on him."

mitsuba gave a half-hearted chuckle in response, but it was more like an amused huff. "sure, if you wanna be mikaela's dinner. i haven't seen him drink the whole time yuichiro's been out."

yoichi quickly shushed her in response. "don't say that! he's worried, just like us. yuu was his family first."

"and he can probably hear us. try not insulting the dude who helped us save him." kimizuki added, leaning farther into the wall.

mitsuba stiffened. "right, sorry."

they sat in silence for a while, just watching. mika had heard them, just like they thought, but he couldn't be bothered to care. they weren't wrong, he was thirsty. extremely thirsty. still, he couldn't think about satiating himself. all this time, he had been withering away, keeping it together with sheer willpower, and a vial of queen krul's blood she'd slipped him before crowley and ferid jumped her. "i know it won't last long, but you'll need this..."

it wasn't much, but it was enough. he couldn't drink from yuu, not while he was in this state, and he refused to touch another human- it would only make him more monstrous than he already was.

that's why he was so thankful that yuu didn't begin to stir until his friends were all in their own rooms, fast asleep.

mika felt a slight pressure on his hand a first, so weak he thought he was hallucinating. then, he saw yuu's hand curl around his own, eyes slowly blinking open. "mi-"

it took approximately 0.2 seconds for him to death-grip yuu in one of the tightest hugs probably know to man, and even less for him to start sobbing. "yuu, you're awake!"

yuu managed a chuckle, hugging him back. "not for long, if you keep crushing me."

"sorry, im sorry. im just so happy you're okay." mika hesitated before letting go, once again holding yuu's hand out of instinct and using his free hand to wipe his tears.