Smirks & Smiles

Max heard Oyster down the hallway as he pulled a notebook from his locker.

"He's a little odd, but once you get past that, he's pretty sweeches, " He heard Oyster say as he approached him with a boy who was kind of nerdy looking with a bowl-like haircut.

Oyster addressed Max, "Max, this is my friend Gidion," then he addressed Gidion, "Gidion, this is Max, a dude I just met like two hours ago, "

"Uh, cool, nice to meet you," Max said.

"Hi, uh, I know we just met, but do you have a sister?" Gidion said with way too much confidence.

Max gave Oyster a look, the Oyster nudged Gidion and said, "Dude, really?" He sighed then said annoyed, "Let's just get to class,"

His first day at school was pretty bearable, especially with his new friends. Those three boys ended up talking most of the day instead of doing actual work.

Only, there was a little problem once he got home.

As soon as he got home, he heard sounds of people fighting in the kitchen.

"No Phoebe! You can't invite your friend over here!" He heard his mom's voice say.

"But Mom," He heard Phoebe say, "She's my first friend I've made since moving here!"

Max made his way into the kitchen to try to further figure out what was going on.

His mom glanced at him then said to Phoebe, "This conversation is not over, now go get started on your homework"

"Well, I wanted to do my homework anyways." Phoebe answered angerly and stomped off to her room.

Barb looked over at Max, "Hey sweetie, how was school? Did you make any friends?"

"Actually, yea I did," he answered, uncharacteristicly genuine.

Barb looked at her son happily, "That's great, sweetie."

"So, uh, I'm gonna go do some supervillain stuff in my lair, " He said, uncomfortable with the cushy-ness of that interaction, then walked away.
***
Down in his lair, Max was plotting his next big invention, brainstorming which ones would get Dark Mayhem's attention.

"What about something that gives people lots of nose hair?" Dr. Colosso offered.

"Maybe," Max muttered, "or a device that can make nose hair, on anything!"

"Yea! Why didn't I think of that?" Dr. Colosso joked.

Max smiled, Dr. Colosso was one of the few people who he really smiled around. Before Oyster, he was the only one he ever smiled around. Behind all that confidence, there were some insecurities.
***
It was almost midnight, and Max was having one of THOSE nights. His bed was too warm, he was tired, but couldn't fall asleep. Then, the thought hit him.

He lazily took off the covers, swept his feet onto floor and rubbed his face. He took a quick look at his moon calendar (of course a werewolf was a moon calendar) and made and annoyed groan.

Tomorrow night was the full moon.

Although similar, he had watched enough werewolf movies to know whatever was wrong with him as a bit different.

He didn't turn into a FULL wolf, just what he looked like when he first discovered his powers (except older because, yea, obviously), if you could even call them powers, more like a curse. It didn't help that it was pretty painful as well.

Anyways, on full moon nights, he can't really control himself. He gets this uncontrollable need to hunt.

Back in Metroburg, there was a woods where he could run freely without The Hero League worrying about him hurting anyone. Now that they all live in Hiddenville, he has no where to run free, that he knows of.

So, he had that to look forward to.

Max sighed loudly and gave up on getting any sleep, this always happened before full moon nights, it was getting on his nerves.

Max went upstairs, sat on the couch and waited.
***
*Back in Metroburg, Billy is six, Max is nine, similar situation with Max, concerning the phase of the moon*

Max left his room to get a glass of water when he saw a figure on the couch.

"Whoa!" Max exclaimed.

The figure turned around, "Oh, sorry," It was Billy, "I didn't mean to scare you."

"What are you doing in here?" Max asked.

"I can't sleep sometimes, my everything goes too fast, my heart vibrates sometimes," Billy speed-said.

"Oh, alright, I guess that makes sense," Max remarked.

The two boys spent the rest of the night playing Uno, and relating on how their powers effect their sleeping patterns. This situation has happened again many times after this day, making a bond between the two brothers.

This simple thing helped him forget about the somewhat painful experience he would endure the next night. Billy may not have realized it (not like he was expected to, it's not mean, it's the truth) but he improved his brother's quality of life that much more.