Punished

,,Mummy...?"
,,Daddy...?"

At the sound of someone opening the door, Zayne immediately turned around.

,,Zach, are you here?"
,,Why aren't you staying in your bedroom and-"

Upon seeing his son's body covered in terrifying wounds, Nate's familiar voice trailed off there.

,,What happened?!"
,,Why are you-"

Shifted his glance at the bloodstained floor and all those shining glass splinters that spread all over the place, Nate gasped in shock.

,,Why is Zach..."
,,Daddy... Something happened to Zach..."

Didn't even dare to raise his head and see the look on his dad's face, Zayne's body shuddered in fear.

,,W-Why..."
,,Daddy, help..."

Froze on his spot, Nate held his breath and briefly stared at Zach's motionless body in his older son's arms.

,,Daddy..."
Heart clenched at his dad's reaction, Zayne closed his eyes and prepared for the worst when his dad finally rushed towards them.

...

,,ZACH!"
,,Oh Lord..."
,,What happened to you?!"
,,Open your eyes!"

Taking him from Zayne's embrace, Nate immediately placed his body on the floor and saw how his lips partly opened, painted in dark blue as he began to shake him.

,,No..no..."
,,Please, no..."

Half-sobbing, Nate began to tear his t-shirt and quickly got himself ready to perform chest compression on him.

,,1...2..3...4..."
,,Daddy...... please save him..."

Watching how his dad performed CPR on his little brother, Zayne bit his lips and desperately wished that his dad could somehow bring Zach back to life.

,,5...6..."
,,Come on.. Zach..."
,,Come on... come back to me..."

,,7...8.."
,,9..."

Sighed in frustration, Nate tried to get ahold of himself and repeated the CPR one more time.

...

,,No...no... my baby..."
,,Come back to me... please"

Seeing that Zach was still not moving at all, Nate began to loudly weep in tears.

,,No... this can't be! Zach... come on!"
,,Don't go, please..."

...

After a few minutes passed, Nate finally managed to raise from his position and get some of his composure back.

,,This can't be..."
Mumbled in a voice that only audible in his ears, he narrowed his eyes and began to precisely observe every inch of Zach's body.

,,Dad..."
,,Daddy..."

Seeing how his dad began to calm down, Zayne dared himself to quietly crawl closer to him and stayed on his side.

,,No swelling, no bruises, no injuries..."
,,That makes no sense..."

Again muttering to himself, he tried to find something that'd give him some kind of explanation of how his son turned out like this.