Chapter Five

There was no Castle Leoche, at least there was no Castle in sight for the company. Dougal had decided last minute to bring Jamie to his home to recover from his wounds. Roslyn was floundering by the horses, unsure what to do. She didn't trust Dougal. Murtagh put a firm hand on her lower back, guiding her into Dougal's home while carrying Annie and their bags. Thomas held her hand tightly, both children going quiet. Before any of them knew it, Dougal's eldest daughters Molly and Tabitha who went by Tibby whisked them away to be tended to and put in respectable clothing because no proper lady especially one that was not married should be walkin' about in a man's shirt with her thighs bared so boldly for all to see.

They were pushed in wooden tubs that had a thick cloth inside to keep the water within it, smelling of heather and orchids, though the orchid scent was a bit too strong for Roslyn, she was grateful nonetheless about finally being allowed to be clean. And she was just happy to be warm again as she had unfortunately caught a cold. Not surprising really, since she'd been practically running about naked for six days straight.

Molly washed her hair, marveling about how soft it was, and helped her clean her cuts again marveling about even the softness of skin. No matter how much Roslyn tried to deny it, the young girl was convinced Roslyn had been born of noble birth because "no lass wee skin as silk as yers was borne to'ah farmer! Yer bonnie as primrose! Ye've seen no sun or hardship! And ye said yerself ye can reed und write!"

Not to mention how very fine the twin's garments were to the girls. Molly and Tibby would not have her or the children in servant gowns like their da' told them to. They had given her one of Margaret's dresses, the third daughter of Dougal seeing as the elder too was much taller than her. They had to undo a few of the stitchings in the dress to let it out as well because, unlike Margaret, Roslyn was blessed with curves instead of being willowy. The problem with the dress however came with Roslyn's chest showing more cleavage and treading the thin line of what was proper and the line that came down to being a whore.

But, it was either trip about on a dress or show her womanly wiles and pray it works in her favor with the men that she was a soft lady meant to be cared for and not something ragged to be dragged about and tossed.

"What does this mean?" Molly asked, pointing to the tattoo on Roslyn's ribs.

'Si vis amari, ama'

Roslyn pressed her fingers to the words.

"Is it Latin?" Molly brushed a pinky finger over it. "Dinnae see a tattoo so perfectly written before ye. Nay on a woman."

"It means; to be loved, love."

"Is there a reason why 'tis on yet back, Mistress?"

Roslyn quickly closed the corset, Molly understood the meaning. She would not be sharing.

And the triquetra that was on the underside of her breast just where her heart lay was not spoken of either nor was the thistle behind her ear. It was an odd sight to see markings on a woman's skin, it was frowned upon most highly.

Roslyn looked into the the speckled mirror the girls owned, it did not show a very clear image of her but it showed enough, and what she saw made her feel pretty or bonnie as the Scots kept saying to her when scrutinizing her. She also felt like she was going to some LARPing event and playing dress up. The girls had dismissed the use of hip pads much to their horror because Roslyn truly had no need for them and if they put them there then the dress would not fit. The breast and hip ratio was perfect already and the corset she had to suck her soul into had proved as much.

The dress was a very dark green, on par with the forest, a gold ruffled lace at the end of the sleeves and, a large pleated skirt that fanned even more due to the set of petticoats underneath and over top, she had a tartan afghan of Clan Mackenzie around her shoulders to help keep the chill away. Her hair was kept loose, pulled back with a very pretty gold ribbon, not that there was even much hair to be pulled up to start with as her curls caused her hair to barely even touch her shoulders when they were completely dry and allowed to run wild.