Chapter 13

Wow, the glass house is beautiful.

The entire place, the walls and roof, were made of glass wrapped with gold-colored metal. The building had been constructed on an open hill on the property, making it easy for the sunlight to pour in. It was quite large and full of life. The glass is enchanted to act like steel, so it wouldn't break. While the outward structure is amazing to look at, the inside is what is truly magnificent. I was in awe as I took my first step through the door.

The house is one of the few places in the dukedom that had been off-limits to me... until today. And I was sure that the ban would be reinstated once brunch ended.

I didn't understand why. In the book, Isolde frequents this place to enjoy the flowers and serenity of the place. She'd often come here to read or write poetry, as she so loved to do. When I think about it, I can't remember if the real Adaliah had ever set foot in here before this brunch.

My eyes feasted on my surroundings. All kinds of flora and fauna from around earthea could be found here. Every tree, flower, shrub, and patch of grass had a label with their description, which included their place of origin. There were huge yellow flowers, in the shape of vases, that had been planted around a small pond. Crawling up one trellis were pretty pink, flowers dotting thorny vines. My favorite blossoms were tiny, blue ones that clustered together and hung down from a few different trees that had been planted around the room.

Many of these plants originated from kingdoms in Tarareahn, while a few others had been shipped in from places beyond. Wanting to soak it all in, I took my time walking through the place. My heels clicked along the stone path as I studied in awe. The glass house was only made more beautiful by the daylight that beamed down through the panes. The sun's rays wove in and out amongst the many trees that were planted around an open, stone circle – where I'd found a grand table had been decorated for the occasion.

A lush, green tablecloth covered the rich, mahogany tabletop. White gardenias had been clipped and placed in a gorgeous, ornate gold vase that'd been set in the middle of the round table. Surrounding it, were cuttings of eucalyptus and some kind of ivy that I couldn't name. In front of each mahogany chair, gold-rimmed white plates were set with an intricate dark, green napkin that was edged in gold, and folded neatly on top. Beside the plates was golden cutlery that had been spaced apart perfectly.

The entire setup was fit for royalty, and I felt out of place as I sat down.

I hadn't eaten a meal with the Howells... ever.

Since my arrival, my food had always been sent to my room, and I assumed that it was because of the mistake the real Adaliah had made that night. The meals I was fed were awful. My diet consists of bland porridge in the morning, and some kind of lukewarm soup in the evening. I don't even get lunch. And the one time I had asked for something different, the duke paid me a personal visit to remind me of how "grateful" I should be.

This is another reason why I enjoy sneaking out into the city. There are so many amazing food vendors and stalls, that I often fail to refrain from spending my money on meat skewers, fresh bread, or hot potatoes. Many times, I have fallen victim to the smells that waft from those stands, enticing me to spend money that I need to save.

Thankfully, Ashe never judged me for it. Sometimes, he was the one to suggest that we grab food together. It's one of the many reasons why I love him.

A small sigh escaped my lips at the thought of Ashe. It had been extremely difficult to be away from him all these months. We've never been apart for so long, and it makes me anxious. Writing him had helped a little, and I always look forward to reading his stories about work and life. Nothing important has changed in the time we've been separated. The only difference is the extra money that has been collected in our account, waiting for us to buy that boat and get the heck out of there.