NINE | QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

ONCE THE MENTORS RETURNED TO CLASS, THE GROUP OF TRIBUTES SETTLED BACK DOWN, THE ZOO EMPTY FROM VISITORS

ONCE THE MENTORS RETURNED TO CLASS, THE GROUP OF TRIBUTES SETTLED BACK DOWN, THE ZOO EMPTY FROM VISITORS. Zea sat beside Panlo, ignoring the frown he gave her as she broke up a pill.

"You'll develop an addiction," he claimed, restraining himself from snatching the bottle.

She scoffed back at him as she screwed the lid back on, "Panny, please. I don't think we have to worry about the long term effects here."

He dropped the argument for the moment, glancing about at the other tributes. Some kept to themselves, like he did, others conversing.

Treech and Lamina sat together on a rock, muttering to one another as they spoke of home. Velvereen leaned against a faux tree, giggling as she caught his eyes, her hand covering her mouth. He frowned, casting narrowed eyes toward Zea, "What's up with Velvereen?"

With a quick glance at the brunette, Zea bit her lip and shrugged. "No clue." She knew, of course, that Velvereen was likely thinking of Panlo running for his life from a bird, but she would spare him the embarrassment of knowing that.

Both from District Four conversed with Tanner in a corner; the boy had joined them soon after Brandy's demise. Coral cast quick glances at Zea, the other two nodding along as she spoke.

"They'll try to recruit you," Panlo stated, nudging his partner. "Those three. Coral wants you on her side."

She barely glanced up, "What about you?"

He frowned, switching his gaze from the pack to her. "What about me?"

"I'm not leaving you," Zea said, rolling her eyes. "I can't change the fact that we weren't friends sooner but I can make sure we have more time."

Panlo shifted, the serious nature of her statement unsettling him; not that he disagreed, he too wished they had more time. "You just want someone to carry your ass around that arena, don't you?"

The girl let out an obnoxious laugh, hitting his shoulder, "Shit, you caught me." She waited for her laughter to die down, "But seriously, can you stick with me?"

He nodded slowly, "Someone has got to make sure you don't do stupid shit, especially just to impress Lamina."

"I have no clue what you are talking about," Zea stated, looking away from him and finding the redhead in question. Lamina met her eyes and smiled softly, Treech muttering beside her. "I don't know about anyone else... can't align with everyone, can I? I want to stay with Velvereen and Lamina, but they bring stupid boys with them."