𝟔 - 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫?

"how much i missed, 

"how much i missed, 

simply because i was afraid of missing it."

・:*:・゚★,‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

💫 🔭 🕊

⸻GASPING FOR AIR, ARA RAN DOWN THE HALLWAY TO HER FIRST DEFENCE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS LESSON. She had just gotten off from a shift at the Hospital Wing and was incredibly late to class. Not wanting to lose any more points for Ravenclaw, she skidded down halls and dashed up staircases, her book bag pounding against her chest, she slowed to a walk outside the DADA corridor. Composing herself, she opened the door - and found that Professor Lupin wasn't there.

Skidding through the door, she took the only available seat left, next to Seamus Finnigan in Gryffindor, and took out her books, quills, and parchment. As she sat down, she overheard him whispering to Potter, who was a couple of rows behind him.

"Have you heard, Harry? Daily Prophet this morning — they reckon Sirius Black's been sighted."

"Where?" said Potter and Weasley quickly, the latter shooting glances towards Ara, not even trying to be conspicuous.

"Not too far from here," said Finnigan, who was now speaking especially loudly. "It was a Muggle who saw him. 'Course, she didn't really understand. The Muggles think he's just an ordinary criminal, don't they? So she phoned the telephone hotline. By the time the Ministry of Magic got there, he was gone."

"Not too far from here . . . ," Weasley repeated. Ara felt herself shaking; she placed her hands underneath her thighs to stop them from trembling. Behind her, she felt a pair of eyes digging into her scalp. Not bothering to turn around, she stared intensely at the table, noting a wooden carving from not too long ago on the side of the desk.

"Good afternoon," Professor Lupin said, shutting the door behind him. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags? Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

A few curious looks were exchanged as the class put away their books. They had never had a practical Defense Against the Dark Arts before unless you counted the memorable class last year when their old teacher had brought a cageful of pixies to class and set them loose.

"Right then," said Professor Lupin, when everyone was ready. "If you'd follow me."

Puzzled but interested, the class got to its feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom. He led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner, where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist, who was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Peeves didn't look up until Professor Lupin was two feet away; then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song. "Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy