Chapter 18: Awaken Slumberer

Ancient Vren

Tucked away in the most remote portion of the Vren habitat slept a Vren wholly unlike the others. This Vren did not have the smooth, beautiful pearlescent outer shell and calm expressive eyes that were common among their kind. This Vren was twice the size of the others and was pitch black with a pair of red jagged stripes that ran the length of its exoskeleton. Each segment of its body had a spiky protrusion that curled backward to a wicked point. The one thing it shared with the others of its kind was that its eyes were its most striking feature, but for a different reason. This Vren had large red eyes with a sharp-looking vertical pupil.

Many of the Vren had never seen a change in their ancestor for the entirety of their lives. It just lay motionless seemingly in wait for something. Then they all felt an angry, painful, psychic resonance that was so full of hatred it momentarily stunned the Vren, then like answering a call to arms the slumberer moved for the first time in over 10,000 years. One eye shot open wide. A wave of psychic energy rippled out from the beast in their midst. They fled away from the pressure. Then as quickly as it had arrived the terrible power receded back into their kin and he gazed out of the tank directly at the largest of the creatures that stood outside of their prison. The one that had projected such a powerful blood lust... Maybe... just maybe... he had found a suitable host.