Chapter 17: Monotonous Melody

A bump grew from Taccilas' head, his eyes seeing imaginary stars.. "...Hope that'll teach you." Scolded Hezcann.

"Don't be too hard on him." Requested the blonde lady.

The bar man carried a series of bags and placed them before Suisse. "Whatever, here's your order.."

"Thanks, as always! When does his shift end, by the way?" Questioned Suisse, the bags now grasped by her two fair hands.

Taccilas, for his part, had regained his senses at last. He still saw at least three different versions of both Suisse and Hezcann, though. Hezcann's chops were no joke.

"Why exactly?" Asked Hezcann, his hands seemingly always occupied by a towel.

"I'm taking him to the Fortress, he'll stay with us."

"Oh, you can take him now, he and the other girl have been at it since the morning, and it's pretty calm today. Just give me a moment to get their payment." As he spoke, Hezcann left the kitchen and bolted upstairs.

Taccilas supported himself on the counter, his words slurred when he tried to communicate."M-Miss, do you have space for two more?"

"There's enough space for an entire platoon! Do you have someone in mind?"

The slurring had stopped, but he was still struggling to focus on the lady before him. At least, his mind was in the right place, for he was positive she didn't have five eyes. "Yep, that girl over there." And he gestured towards Izuchi.

Her steps had become weary and she carried herself like a waning fire, instead of the mighty sun-like flame Taccilas had witnessed before.

A princess only in name, perhaps.

"The waitress?"

"Yep, and I've got another friend, she's at the workshop right now."

"Ah, so there's three new faces around."

"Yep!"

"We can take you and your friends in, don't worry." Bubbled the lady of the shooting star, a gentle smile decorating her.

Taccilas eyes sparkled like stars. "Thank you!" He rejoiced. "Izuchi! Izuchi, come!"

"What?!" The girl with fiery hair delivered her order and soon returned to the counter. Every step she took, she lost another string of balance- but she made it over to the counter before falling over. "What do you want, imbecile? I'm busy right now." Demanded the princess, her tone had crumbled, none of the fanfare remaining,

"This girl is letting us stay in her house!" He exclaimed, gesturing to Suisse- who herself greeted Izuchi with a "Hi!" and a wave of the hand.

But Izuchi observed her, unimpressed. She raised an eyebrow and brought a hand to her hip. "For how much?" She probed.

"...How much what?" The only answer Taccilas could present was another question.

"What do you mean how much what? Y-" Izuchi choked back her own words, instead clenching her fists. "Money! How much money!"

"Oh, I didn't ask. Miss Suisse, how much will it be?"

The lady of the blue uniform chuckled and then spoke with the serenity of a swan. "Don't worry, it's free."

"Free?!" She's so nice!

"Free...?" What is she plotting to do with us...?

Such was the extent of the divergence between their understandings, that one could've thought Suisse uttered different words to each one.