Chapter 4: The tower of fire and ash (1)

The waves split apart the moment Mitali dashed through them, white foam extending in her wake. Burning smoke mirrored it in the skies above.

Within Mitali's bridge, her human body lay on a table- her expression covered by her purple jacket. Every so often, she would move her fingers from left to right and vice versa. During those same moments, her rudder and wheel would turn accordingly.

Taccilas was near the bridge's front, by the windows. His golden eyes rested on a tower of fire and ash that lay on the horizon.

They were quickly approaching the unfolding battle.

"Mitali, what armaments do you have?" Asked the tan-skinned boy.

"...Eight 100 millimeter cannons and two torpedo launchers of three 500 millimeter torpedoes each, as far as ship-to-ship combat goes." Replied the girl who claimed to be a warship. Her voice was muffled, but it was as soothing as before.

Taccilas simply nodded, as if confirming something with himself.

"Do you have any experience with naval combat, Taccilas?"

"Nope."

"I see..."

"But don't worry, I have a plan!"

"How could you have come up with a plan if you don't have experience?"

"Don't worry, just trust me."

At that moment, Mitali raised her head to look at him. There was no particular thought behind the movement, the way his words echoed across the room simply awakened within Mitali a desire to look at the one who had delivered them. Despite the fact that Taccilas didn't believe the words in question to be anything special.

She knew there's merit to be recognized in someone, who even when faced with something entirely unknown, refuses to face it with anything but the most unbridled confidence.

And that's what Mitali saw in Taccilas-

-A shine to make even the sun turn face.

"Very well then."

And so Mitali stood and she walked over to Taccilas' side.

The movement had been no different than a reflex.

"Incidentally, when a battle unfolds, a radio signal is commonly sent out letting all warships of our country know what is currently underway." Continued Mitali.

The white-haired girl turned to one device that, surprisingly, wasn't covered under rubble.

Taccilas followed her eyes.

The device had a variety of dials and needles under glass covers. Taccilas couldn't quite understand what happened within its internal mechanism, but he well understood the purpose the device- a radio- served.

"But there haven't been any signals?"

"Indeed, 'tis strange."

"Wouldn't that just mean that there aren't any allied ships in that battle?"

"Perhaps it is so, but in these waters that would be strange. There are always patrols of the Steel Kingdom around here."

"I guess, we'll just have to get closer to find out." Taccilas shrugged.

"I guess we will."

Minutes passed in silence. Before long, they had come within viewing distance of the battle.

Half a dozen ships had come to completely surround another warship. One much larger and mighty, although the beautiful white that once decorated her hull had become blackened and tarnished.

The surrounding ships continued to bombard the white vessel. From the distance Mitali and Taccilas now found themselves at, they could see people running around trying to extinguish fires or abandon ship.

Others were throwing themselves overboard and trying to swim away.

Some men ran across the deck carrying ammunition for the ship's guns, desperately trying to put up a fight.

Describing the scene as anything other than utter chaos would've simply been incorrect.

"The ship in the middle... She bears the same flag as I." Spoke Mitali.

Taccilas made tremendous effort to make out the flag that flew atop the white ship's mast. He barely succeeded.

It was simply a white sword upon a bronze sun.

"So she is from the Steel Kingdom."

"Indeed, she is... In fact, her name... Azukima...?"

And then, incredibly abruptly, Taccilas grabbed Mitali's hand with his own.

With an "Ah?" Mitali's surprise was evident.

"Have they noticed us?" He asked.

"It does not look like they have."

Taccilas grasp on Mitali's hand became tighter as he unleashed his commands.

"Alright, Mitali! All guns to port, all torpedo launchers to starboard!"

A gentle little smile spread across her face.

"As you command." Softly spoke the girl.

Mitali drew her hands together behind her back like a little girl once again.

Thus, her cannons turned to face her new opponents.

Her torpedo launchers mirrored them.

She readied to sing a little tune-

-But as the battle drew nearer, it occurred to Mitali that she had forgotten to ask quite an important question to the boy.

"Taccilas...?"

"Hm?"

"Why do you want to help them this badly?"

"Ah, you see-

The possibility is undeniable that when consulted with this question, a great majority of people would've replied with something along the lines of:

Because it's the right thing to do.

Or perhaps.

Because I would want someone to do the same for me if I were in their position.

However-

"-Because if we rescue them, they're going to reward us!"

-Taccilas' mind wasn't governed by any sort of moral compass.