02 ; the breech

❝ empire now - hozier ❞

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

paul atreides was duke of arrakis.

but he had his eyes set on the title of emperor of the known universe. his visions of the future all led to death, destruction, devastation to varying degrees– not because he lost control, but because he gained it.

he could see the paths laid out before him, each one a potential future, branching out like the delicate veins of a leaf that was held to the light. and in every path, there was bloodshed. was this the price of power? to see the suffering of countless lives, to feel the weight of their fates on his shoulders? paul often sunk into reveries, pondering if he was destined to become the villain in his own story, sacrificing morality for the greater good, or if there was another way. but the voices that plagued his mind were enthused by the murmurings of his mother; urging him forward on his path to dominion.

there was a sense of inevitability creeping over him every hour that the heighliner crawled through the expanses of time and space. the mantle of emperor was calling to him, beckoning him to fulfill his destiny, no matter the cost.

"my lord, the guild navigator has a new report." that shook him out of his residence in his own mind quite quickly. perhaps it was being suspended in space for extended periods of time that was playing tricks on his mind, but a simple glance out the space-tempered glass showed a peculiar disturbance in the speckled void that surrounded them.

his eyes narrowed slightly. guild navigators, or steersmen, as he had known them as a child, were men– no, creatures, were senior ranked specimens of artificially evolved super-humans, a testimony to the power of spice. it was hard to consider some of them to be human, anyways.

they could see, see as humans could not, and only with their assistance could space be traversed with such certainty. their guild was only a stage two, being not long into service (piracy of one at such times was titular to their cause), and as far as he knew, it was not yet the behemoth of whale-like flesh that his father had described to him in childhood.

if he was honest with himself, paul somewhat feared the notion of looking through the orange gas in the chamber for too long; it was a horror that seemed to grow in value the longer it was exposed, as festering flesh behaved in a fire. growing. mutating. wilting.

paul sighed under his breath, turning his attention to whomever had spoken. "yes, isaac. what is the report?"

isaac was of house harkonnen, captured during the raid against the base a few months prior, where paul had finally exacted his revenge. the baron had died, like an animal. an eye for an eye. the lad was more agreeable than most harkonnen were, and had been between the planets many a time; making him a useful resource.