03 ; frivolous

❝ oh no! - marina ❞

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

"ow, stop that!" bella whined, as octavia tugged the brush through her hair.

"i'm doing it gently, stop fussing you–" the thing is, she couldn't call her 8 year old cousin an asshole. "--numpty." bella pouted, sticking out her trembling lower lip as she crossed her arms penultantly over her chest.

bella blackthorn was the youngest of lady clarysse's brood, another failed attempt to produce a male heir, as far as octavia was concerned. she was an adorable little tot, with her pale skin, dark brown hair and flushed, dolly cheeks– but by the gods, she had a pair of lungs to rival no other when she was upset.

she wasn't technically octavia's responsibility, but it wasn't like armani was going to play dress up.

"its your fault your hair is tangled. didn't your mother tell you to not go down to the briars?" octavia noted, her eyebrows raised slightly as she made the little girl face her. "because this seems like a problem you caused, bella."

the pouting intensified. "it's not fair, you get to run around, but when i do it, i get told off."

octavia winced at the mention of her behavior back on osrai. that had been a week ago. the aftermath of if had been relatively brushed under the rug; her uncle had donated a copious amount of money to the local government for repairs, assured them the incident would be looked into, and then swept his family back to the palace on eros iii. a brief, unnecessary visit, but octavia's insolence had somewhat been rewarded, as lucky was now allowed to reside at the blackthorn estate until the town was rebuilt and crisis was averted.

she had a friend on the same planet now, go figure.

"yes, but i'm an adult." octavia noted, gently tapping bella's chin before instructing her to face forward again, causing a sound of distress. "i'm responsible."

bella clearly had a frown on her face, huffing. "mummy says you aren't responsible."

"well your mummy is wrong, then." she technically wasn't, but octavia wasn't content with the notion that her aunt was talking shit about her to her children. bella shook her head, making her hair go astray again– much to octavia's discontent.

"mummy is never wrong." bella pointed out, causing octavia to raise a dark brow at her. "mummy also says you're a...a bee."

"a bee?" a scoff almost escaped her throat, but she stifled it for the sake of not finding it humorous that her aunt was referring to her as a 'bitch', she assumed that meant. "well, i'm not a bee, she's one. she's very stingy."

was it unnecessary antagonism of what was supposed to be her new mother figure? octavia supposed it was, however it was not as if she was being an arse for no reason; resentment was a two way communication line. it was a language she understood.