Chapter 2: The offer

You knocked on the door to Fury's office, nerves high.

"Come in," You heard from the inside.

Taking a deep breath, you pushed open the door.

Fury was sitting at his large desk, staring at you as you walked in.

"Uh, I heard you wanted to see me?" You asked nervously.

"Please sit, Agent Y/L/N." He said.

Oh God. Were you about to get fired? Are you getting arrested? Your heart beat loudly in your chest as you sat in the chair across from him. Did he find out you were streaming COPS illegally? That's not a punishable offense, is it?

"I can tell you're spiraling," He finally spoke, "You're not in trouble. Rather the opposite, actually."

"Oh." Oh? You couldn't tell whether you should laugh or ask him what the hell he meant.

"You see, recently you have been doing outstanding with paperwork, training, helping citizens, and let's not forget your work during the attack on New York." He continued, "So, I think it's only fair we promote you."

Promote? Did this mean you were going to have to work more hours?

"Y/N." You glanced back up at Fury, him now standing. "How would you like to be an Avenger?"

Oh. My. God. What?!

"What?" You said, barely above a whisper, "An Avenger, Y/L/N, would you like to be one?"

"I..." Wow. For the first time this week, you were too stunned to speak. An Avenger? Were you really good enough for that?

"Am I really...equipped for that? I mean, these are Earth's Mightiest heroes we're talking about." You said, looking at him.

"Would I be asking you if you weren't?" He stated back.

"Probably not.." You responded.

He looked at you with a slight bit of sympathy, "Listen, why don't you go home, think about it tonight, then tomorrow I'll ask you about it again."

You nodded, "Alright," You stood up from your seat, "Goodnight, sir."

"Good night, Y/N"