eight

( thanksgiving )

To say that this holiday was going sideways might be an understatement. First, Uncle Richard showed up unexpectedly, then Lee tried drowning his undisclosed sorrows in wine--in front of Uncle Richard which sent the Walters into panic mode--and now my dear uncle was all but outright accusing them of bad parenting.

Immediately at the news of Jackie and I's run-in with alcohol at a party, Parker gapes, "Jackie and Charlotte got drunk?"

George starts to panic now and orders everyone under 35 out of the kitchen. Katherine looks at Uncle Richard, "We try to edit out certain things for small ears." 

After leaving the kitchen, I quickly make my way around the house searching for Cole. He managed to sneak away while I was catching up with Uncle Richard, but we still haven't baked the brownies yet.

I couldn't find him and decided on just baking them myself. I was taking them out of the oven when the front door opened and I heard Jackie's voice. I smile, but before I head towards her, I set the brownies on the counter and set a towel over them in attempts of hiding the chocolate desserts. I make my way around the island counter and to the hall, only to be met with two girls instead of one.

Suddenly, the guilt of what Cole and I have been doing comes rushing to the surface as I see Erin standing in the hall of the Walter house.

"Surprise!" Uncle Richard yells and I smile momentarily as Jackie jumps into his arms.

But that glimpse of joy is smothered by my crushing guilt when Cole finally appears through the living room doorway. Right next to Erin.

She turns to look at him and he does the same when she mutters, "Jackie said it was was okay if I came." Their faces are so close together that I can't help but think of the other night in the kitchen. How many times have their faces been that close? And how many times did it lead to making out?

"Sure, the more the merrier." His words are icy and suddenly my guilt and shame are insurmountable. I had no right to do this to Erin. I let myself get far too comfortable and carried away.

I'm frozen in my hidden spot near the kitchen's doorway as I see the pure hope blooming in Erin's eyes as Katherine says it's good to see her. God, she even knows his family. What the hell have I done?

I manage a smile at her somehow as she passes by and makes her way through the threshold. Meanwhile, Cole didn't even seem to notice me or bother to ask about the brownies.

"Sweetie, your uncle and Jackie are by the fireplace if you wanna go talk to them," Katherine smiles at me. I nod meekly and make my way towards them.

My brain is foggy, but not from exhaustion, as I hear Uncle Richard talking to Jackie. I'm barely in the room when he says, "I consulted a lawyer about getting custody."

I freeze in my tracks, "What?" They both turn to me and Uncle Richard sighs.

"Girls, when they read your parents will, I was in shock and grieving and I just wanted to respect my sister's wishes. So, I went along with you two coming here. But, I'll admit, I was pretty hurt when your parents chose Katherine."

I frown, "She was Mom's best friend."

He shakes his head, "In college. And besides, I was her brother and you two already knew me."

I didn't like the way Uncle Richard was talking about Mom or the Walters. Katherine and George had been good to us.

He went on, "Now I realize, they wrote that will 15 years ago, when there was only three Walter kids, not ten. You know, you two were so little, and I was in my 20s partying up a storm. So, I understand why your mom didn't think I could take care of you."