Chapter Twelve: Then

They headed for the buildings at a careful, but swift pace. Whoever reached them first would have the upper hand, and Nari was determined it would be them. They would have probably been running at a headlong sprint if there wasn't the possibility that the Lotus were there already, waiting for them. And so, the collection of edifices rose up ominously, shrouded in their veil of mist.

It was barely more than a hamlet. The thin roads, not paved but worn, winding around stone buildings that Kali had only seen in old HistoryVids. They had no doors, just doorways, arched little entrances, and small windows. More than a few had spiralling staircases that looped around the outside. There were far too many places to hide here, but Kali supposed that was the point.

"We pick a location and stay there," Nari said. She spoke in a whisper, but even that seemed amplified in this atmosphere. Was this supposed to be Old Earth? Kali knew that following the Collapse they didn't have the means or material or factories to build the same wasteful structures again, so most buildings had been built by 3D construction technology, out of concrete and mortar and recycled materials. It meant every house was similar and gray and ugly, unlike the beautiful skyscrapers of Mars, but homes had been needed, so they'd all been stamped out and jotted down. Nari looked a bit startled as she walked through the domed buildings, and Kali wondered if they reminded her of home.

If they hoped that this would be a lengthy setup, they would be wrong; Dom was struck on the shoulder as he peered around a building and went down like an anchor. Inno jumped back, shaking, and even Nari looked shaken enough Kali wondered if she'd given the Intel to someone close by.

"Kali. Get to the top of that building without getting shot." Nari pointed, and then grabbed Kali by the elbow before she could acquiesce. "You stay there. No matter what. Do not move from that roof. You see an enemy, you can shoot, but you're not taking a step further. Shoot Dom when he gets back up."

With that, Nari released her, pulling the others to her like she was a black hole. Maybe Nari had it. Although with Kali being ordered to stay behind, they probably thought she had it. Instead, she was just relegated to the most boring task. Her building had two levels. Just open and empty, no cover inside to speak of. You could shoot from the window, but anyone could come in.

Kali waited on the stairs, crouching there. Her teammates had disappeared, and she couldn't hear them either. And then there was Dom. His deactivated, dull jacket reinvigorated as a bright green, and Kali waited until he stood up before she shot him. Once, twice. He groaned as he fell back down; he hadn't even had time to try to hit her back. Maybe Kali should have let him; at least on the other team, she would have something to do. So why had she shot? Because it was an order.

"Sorry Dom. Thanks for playing." She made her way up the stairs.

It was eerie up here. The flat roofs looked like lily pads floating on water, if lily pads were gray and water was just vapour. Kali couldn't see much of anything, which she supposed was the point. Nari was punishing her for winning the last match by taking her out of this one. Seemed fair.

The minutes passed slowly. Kali occasionally heard the sound of phaser fire, but couldn't quite pinpoint it. She had no idea who was winning or losing. She'd find out when the lights went off, and defeat flashed across their screen. Unless Nari won, which Kali didn't find particularly appealing. Ainsley was smart too, and she wasn't an ass about everything.

Kali resisted the urge to roll on her back. Would the cameras notice if she took a short nap? She definitely needed one.

Then she saw something. A light glow first, then definitely green, moving so quickly she could hardly track it. She didn't notice the flash of silver hair until he was booking it up spiral stairs about two buildings to the left and one ahead from her. He laid flat as she did, not noticing her as he did a quick scan, and prepared himself. He was a still target now; Kali could probably shoot him, if she was careful and took her time. But she hesitated. The visibility was rough here, and she had barely seen him. She hadn't really moved her head either. An outside observer might think she hadn't noticed.