9: White-Knuckling

When they arrive at the Last Light Inn, an attractive, middle-aged elven woman impedes them for questioning - the apparent leader of the Harpers, and a formidable legend of an adventurer in her own right, based on Karlach's reaction upon seeing her. "That's the Jaheira!"

Without any context, Aysla immediately likes her for her no-bullshit approach, and her dry, mean countenance - and it doesn't hurt, either, when she immediately offers Aysla a goblet of wine.

She downs it recklessly, in two short gulps, not yet realizing how fantastically she's fucked up.

"Thirsty, are we?" Jaheira says.

"Fairly certain that had truth serum in it, dear," Astarion says pityingly, tapping his foot.

Aysla closes her eyes for a moment, forever disappointed but not surprised at the messes she endlessly places herself in. "Lovely. As if I'm not loquacious enough as it is."

Jaheira remains serious, and is direct in her line of questioning. "Answer me true, and do not lie: The parasite changes you, does it not?"

"It only grants us small boons, but I'll take those over tentacles," Aysla replies.

Jaheira simply nods, seeming to mull over the words before accepting them as truth.

The liquid in her belly gives Aysla a small rush. The words flow easily, but she can't yet ascertain if that's the effect of whatever essence was added to her wine, or if it is just her typically chatty, gregarious mouth, running away with itself as it so often does without any chemical assistance.

"If the good men and women here are to survive, I have no choice but to trust you," Jaheira says. "Can I?"

"I mean, I believe so." Aysla shrugs. She didn't get the chance to think of her answer before it came out. She's normally more convincing than this - isn't she?

"Good," Jaheria replies, still looking stern. "Because I'll cross your heart myself if you break that trust."

Aysla raises her eyebrows in amusement at the open threat. Once again, the words flow out without filter. "Well! There's but one person in this room who can cross my heart, though you're lovely."

Astarion grants her a sideways glance. She looks mortified, which only adds duel to his self-satisfied grin.

Karlach elbows Wyll in the ribs. Aysla's ears feel hot, as she hears the chuckling behind her.

"Ah, young love," says Jaheira. It's the first smile she's cracked during their entire encounter.

Aysla presses her lips together, willing them to stay shut, and prevent any further embarrassments from flying out.

"I've traced others with your condition here, to this very village. The one you will have to face - General Ketheric Thorm - was one of them, who we thought we had killed over a hundred years ago," Jaheira explains. "I shot an arrow through him myself, and watched him heal himself - it's as if he is invincible. But, there is always hope; and I believe you are that hope, now"

"Hmm. So you want us to somehow kill an unkillable General?" Aysla grimaces.

"You can infiltrate his lair in Moonrise Towers posing as a True Soul, protected as you are by your artefact," she insists. "If you can simply find out the source of his invincibility, we can attack him."

"So, reconnaissance. I suppose we can do some snooping," Aysla replies.

"Good," Jaheria nods. "Before you go, see Isobel upstairs. She is a cleric of Selune, and she can grant you protection from the shadows, as she does for us here."