𝟎𝟓 , 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚊

( 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲 ) ✽𐬺𐬿
𐬻𐬾 𝐔𝐍𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐑 | 𝚓𝚘𝚑𝚗 𝚎𝚐𝚊𝚗.

" a-tryin' to catch the devil's herd across these endless skies "RIDERS IN THE SKY— vaughn monroe

RIDERS IN THE SKY
vaughn monroe

// EVERYONE WAS RATTLED WITH SHOCK, confusion and little fear when Col. Harding revealed the mission was set to Africa.

Evelyn herself wasn't as nervous, but anything was possible — that is what scared her. She was flying with the lowest squadrant, which just so happened to be Roger's and Arthur's crew. One of the 349th crews.

She knew the German and other fighter pilots liked to pick off the lower squadrants because they were an easier target, but she had hope that Roger and Arthur were good enough pilots to complete the mission.

John Egan also held a small amount of hope, or at least from the outside — with his overly carefree attitude. But when hearing Evelyn would be in the lowest squadrant — which shouldn't have been a surprise, seeing as that was where she was usually placed.

There was something brewing in his chest when he looked at the woman, maybe it was concern, or maybe it was his ongoing lust for her, but he was nervous for her. He didn't want to land in Africa while waiting for her plane to land right behind, then realizing she never would — he couldn't even fathom how he would feel.

Something about Evelyn had John intrigued from the very beginning, she wasn't like anyone he had ever met — she didn't fall to his feet like any other girl would, and she had fire and passion. Egan had more than lust for her, he just didn't know it yet.

Or maybe he just didn't want to admit it.

Evelyn didn't know how to feel, or what she felt for that matter. She knew what John wanted, it was what every man wanted from her — she didn't know that, that wasn't the whole truth. From the past, Evelyn had closed herself off, she buried her heart and feelings deep inside her chest and vowed to never let anyone in ever again.

And in war, was the worst time to feel for someone, because you never know if they will come back or not.

Besides the inner turmoil, the mission had been delayed another thirty minutes because of the fog. Everyone was either waiting under the B-17s or in them, waiting for Col. Harding to signal that it was time to fly.