39.| Doing it right!

Rudraksh's pov

As the king of Suryagarh, it pains me deeply to stand before my people today, burdened with the weight of injustice and betrayal within my own family.

The recent events involving my beloved wife, Aakriti, have shaken the very foundation of our kingdom.

Aakriti, my dear wife, was taken from me by the hands of my own mother, the queen.

For over two agonizing months, I searched tirelessly for her, my heart heavy with fear and desperation. When she finally returned to me, it was with a grief-stricken soul, haunted by the loss of our unborn child.

My mother, driven by her own twisted desires, forced Aakriti to undergo an unspeakable act – the abortion of our child.

As I address the royal assembly today, I struggle to contain the rage and sorrow that churn within me.

The betrayal of a mother to her son, the violation of a wife's trust – these wounds cut deeper than any sword.

Yet, as the king, it is my duty to uphold justice, even when it comes at a cost too heavy to bear.

"Gathered nobles and subjects of Suryagarh," I began, my voice echoing through the grand hall, heavy with emotion. "Today, we stand witness to a grievous crime committed within our own walls. My mother, the queen, stands accused of the heinous act of depriving Aakriti of her child, of robbing our kingdom of its future heir."

A hushed murmur sweeps through the assembly as I speak, the weight of my words hanging heavily in the air. I turn my gaze to my mother, her eyes downcast, guilt written upon her face.

"For her crimes against the crown, against our family, against the very sanctity of life itself, for murdering the Ex- king as she admitted, I have decreed that the queen shall face the ultimate punishment – death by hanging," I declare, my heart heavy with the burden of justice.

But even as I deliver this sentence, I cannot shake the sense of betrayal that lingers in the air. For it is not only my mother who has betrayed me, but also my beloved aunt, Bhua sa. Accused falsely of my father's murder, she now stands before me, her eyes brimming with defiance.

"Bhua sa," I implore, reaching out to her with a heart heavy with regret. "I have wronged you, accused you unjustly in my grief and anger. But now, I beg of you, forgive me. Forgive me for the pain I have caused, for the rift I have driven between us."

But Bhua sa remains unmoved, her resolve unyielding as said she turns away from me, "I can't Maharaj," and takes the decision of leaving from our kingdom, from everything we once held dear.

And as she leaves, I am left to ponder the depths of sorrow and betrayal that have torn my family apart, wondering if redemption will ever find its way back to the kingdom of Suryagarh.

.....

In the hallowed halls of Suryagarh, where the echoes of history mingle with the whispers of the present, I, Rudraksh, sit upon the throne, bearing the crown of kingship with both pride and humility.

Today, my chamber is not just a place of governance but also a sanctum of introspection, as I summon my dearest friend and trusted confidant, Vijayveer, the stalwart commander of my army.

Vijayveer's valour knows no bounds, his loyalty unwavering in the face of peril. It was he who braved the storm of battle to rescue my cherished Aakriti, my queen, from the clutches of darkness.

For that act of selflessness, my gratitude knows no bounds, and it is with a heavy heart that I now beckon him to stand before me, knowing that his words may alter the course of our lives forever.

"Rudraksh," he begins, his voice a steady cadence amidst the silent tension that permeates the chamber, "I come to you not as your army chief, but as your brother in arms, bound by the ties of friendship and duty."

I nod, granting him leave to speak, though a part of me fears the weight of his request.

"I seek two boons, my king, not out of ambition or desire for wealth, but out of a yearning to find my place in this world," he continues, his gaze unwavering as he meets my eyes with a sincerity that pierces through the veil of formality.

The air grows heavy with anticipation as I wait for him to reveal the nature of his plea, knowing that whatever it may be, it will test the boundaries of our bond.

"I wish to wed Rukamani," he declares, his voice steady despite the tumult of emotions that swirl within me. My heart skips a beat at his words, for Rukamani's laughter is as familiar to me as that of Niyati. Yet, before I can voice my protest, Vijayveer raises his hand, a silent plea for understanding.

"And I ask for release from my duties, to wander the paths of this world unburdened by the weight of command, for as long as my heart desires," he adds, his tone softening with a vulnerability that speaks volumes of the depth of his longing.

In that moment, I am torn between the responsibilities of kingship and the bonds of brotherhood.

But as I look into Vijayveer's eyes, I see not just the reflection of my own struggles, but the unwavering loyalty of a man who has stood by my side through every trial and tribulation.

"I cannot deny you either request, my friend," I reply, my voice heavy with resignation. "You have earned the right to seek your own happiness, even if it means navigating the intricate dance of love and duty."

And so, with a heavy heart and a solemn oath, I grant my brother in arms his wishes, knowing that in doing so, I am forging a bond that transcends the confines of kingship.

For Vijayveer, the warrior with a heart of gold, and for Rukamani, the maiden whose spirit knows no bounds, I offer my blessings, trusting that their union will bring not only joy, but also a sense of fulfilment that eludes us all.

As he left the chamber, I am left alone in the silence of my chamber, grappling with the weight of my decisions. But amidst the solitude, one truth shines bright like the morning sun: that in the kingdom of Suryagarh, love and friendship reign supreme, binding us together in a tapestry of shared dreams and unbreakable bonds