9-A Beautiful Inkling

ANNA

"How did your first night go?" Inna asked me once we were seated in the tea parlour, it has large windows that let in plenty of natural light, offering views of the palace gardens or surrounding countryside. The room is furnished with comfortable chairs and sofas, upholstered in luxurious fabric of velvet and silk. Ornate tables in front of us as we waited for the servers to come and serve us, but honestly we just wanted some time alone, the help here never leaves you alone, to memorize every wing in this palace is a riddle, we need the maids to lead us whenever we want to walk out or want to do something. and they all have been ogling me this morning. The maids, the guards, even the dogs when I went for my morning run this morning with no makeup."This a marriage of convenience Inna. Stop searching for something unwanted and absurd with that parasite."I replied, my tone firm.

"You're already calling him names? I can sense the tension between you two," she remarked, observing our body language closely. Leaning back in her chair, she continued, "But you know, it's just strange that you woke up early to run after your wedding night. It's not weird for me. To hell with this marriage and with Jake. I'm sure you gave them a heart attack this morning when you walked Alex to the kitchen in the early hours." Inna's eyes twinkled with mischief as she recalled the earlier conversation with Alex and Jake. She seemed to find the situation amusing, almost as if she were enjoying the small rebellions I was unknowingly causing. Her posture was relaxed, suggesting that she was comfortable in this environment, despite the tension between us.

"Running around here is so different from Russia. One thing about this palace, is they have grand gardens—lands you can run in. And that son of yours is becoming more like his father day after day," Inna remarked, her tone filled with a mix of admiration and amusement.

It was true, the grounds here were beautiful and calm, a stark contrast to the bustling cityscapes of Russia. While I was not a hater of cold weather, having adapted to it over the years, the hot weather here was quite a challenge. Even at night, it remained warm, a stark contrast to the cooler nights I was used to. The sunny weather made me feel like shedding my clothes and walking around naked, which was why I opted for an off-shoulder top in black, paired with a gray denim skirt and black booties. The temperature here was around twenty-five degrees Celsius, which was considered mild by local standards but quite warm for someone used to colder climates like me.

Inna chuckled, "He woke us up, and the first thing he asked for was you. He's been asking about you since the wedding, and you know no one can stop Alex when he wants something. He's truly becoming like you two," she said with a scowl directed at me. Alex was an agitated boy, but only with us. He was an observer when it came to the outside world, a made man in the making.

"Why are you giving your sister that face?" Akira's voice interrupted us. My mother walked towards us with the maids following her, holding trays of tea.

"She is angry that Alex is turning crazy day after day," I said, smirking as I studied the two maids walking inside. They moved slowly and deliberately as if measuring every step they took. Akira positioned herself in front of me, beside Inna. She looked stunning in her navy blue shirt, which accentuated her arm tattoos, tucked into beige pants. Her black hair had streaks of white coming from the sides of her ears, yet she still looked stunning. Her Asian genes were the best; she looked like she could charm a hundred men with her health.

"Aren't we all a little too insane here? Don't forget who's Inna Markov, Red," Akira scolded Inna, who shot her a sidelong glance because of the maid serving us. I'm sure she was having a panic attack listening to us, but we didn't care. "And why are you talking about Alex is my favorite grandkid," Akira declared, holding a delicate coffee cup. Coffee? I looked down at my cup and found it filled with coffee. The rich aroma enveloped me, another addiction of mine. The smell of coffee alone could wake me up and make me feel calmer and safer.