Chapter 3

Surprisingly when I reached the farmhouse, it hadn’t rained. It was only the cold wind howling across the vast lands and carrying with it the scent of crisp leaves. I tasted it and sighed sharply. I already loved this place.

     Sitting back in the driver’s seat, I glanced at my reflection. I didn’t do a very thorough planning. I had no idea the number of days I’d be spending in this town. All I wanted was to be far away from Tom. Today being a Friday, I was certain he was home by now and desperately searching our suburban house for me, tearing the place apart, and screaming my name like a madman. I hadn’t left a note—that would be too nice of me.

     He caused this, not me. I reminded myself before I started feeling qualms. If he didn’t find me, the first thing he’d do was call my boutique and as usual my assistant Shelby would pick up. To save her much trouble and from lies, I didn’t disclose where I was going to her.

     Apart from being a controlling freak, Tom was also an extortionist. He could easily obtain my location out of Shelby, even if it meant harassing her. The only person who knew my location was my sister. She suggested this weekend away and gave me the keys to her farmhouse. She and her husband bought the farmhouse several years ago but didn’t use it. Their busy schedule kept them from having quality time here.

     Somehow, my little sister had what I didn’t have. A good marriage. If Tom showed up at her place requesting my location, her gym trainer husband would beat the crap out of him. They knew the kind of guy Tom was—rich and spoilt. They knew about my abuse too.

      As much as I couldn’t stand Tom, her Mom, Stella was worse. She had her keys to our house and would constantly show up unannounced. I had no problem with that. But when she kept asking when I was getting pregnant, I couldn’t bear her presence. For years, Tom and I had tried to no avail. There wasn’t a fertility clinic in New York I hadn’t been to. The doctors kept saying the same thing. I was fit to have a baby. I still couldn’t understand why I wasn’t pregnant yet. Now more than ever, I knew it was a bad idea since maybe I’d be divorcing him.

     I wished Tom would go to my sister’s place, so her husband would let him feel real power, but I knew he wouldn’t. He was a coward too.

     When I looked down, Clara was already walking on my lap. I curled my hand under her tummy and stroked its white fur.

     “It’s only me and you now,” I whispered.

      She wriggled out of my grip and jumped onto the dashboard, then rested her head on her legs.

     I sighed and went for the door. Stepping out, I tied the straps on my overcoat around my waist and strode to the rear, hitting the key fob. The trunk popped open and as I unloaded two suitcases and placed them by the left tire, the door of the farmhouse across the road from mine slid open. A slender woman in blue jeans topped with a white blouse stepped onto the porch. When the wind blew toward the house, her clothes clung, revealing her lithe body.

     Maybe she works out. I did Yoga every morning with Dr. Steve, a YouTube guru and occasionally went to the gym, but my body was nowhere near this woman. Suddenly the door opened again and a brawny man walked out, neared the woman, and wrapped his arm around her waist, kissing her face several times. She giggled, then faced him.

     They talked for a while. It was only when they turned in my direction that I saw their faces. Oh my God! It’s the man and woman from the convenience store! I was right. They were a couple, but how they did get here before I did? If I had known they were going to be my neighbors, I’d have been nicer to them at the gas station.

     Simultaneously, they faced me. They’d probably noticed I was staring. I had been caught red-handed. The man lifted a hand and waved to me. He must’ve recognized me from the store. Even from afar, I saw the beautiful smile plastered across his face. Cute.

     I raised a hand and waved to him. The woman just looked at me without so much as a smile. I assumed she was an introvert. Her face at the gas station flashed in my mind. She seemed absent-minded then and now too. I should say hello, or perhaps, let them make the move first.

     My back ached from sitting for long hours and my feet weren’t any better. Besides, I hadn’t settled in yet. I would wait for them to make the move. If they didn’t, then I would.

     I jabbed the key fob and the trunk slammed shut. Walking back to the front seat, I carried Clara from the dashboard and settled her on my shoulder. She squirmed, protesting. I didn’t know why she was afraid of heights, but that was the only way I’d get us and my luggage into the house without having to come back till I settled in. I soothed her back. It took several tries before she relaxed, and we both made it to the front door in one piece.

     I brought her down and rummaged through my handbag for the keys. I slid it into the lock and engaged the deadbolt when I found it, stepping into a pitch-black foyer seconds later. A flick and the overhead light came on, illuminating the place.

     Curious, I skittered to the oversized window and pulled back a curtain. The man was gone, but the woman stood on the porch speaking on the phone. She looked so serious I wondered if everything was all right. I stood, holding back the stiff curtain. My heart almost skipped a beat when she looked in my direction. I instantly let go of the curtain, taking a deep breath. She didn’t see me, did she? I need to focus on why I came here. When I clasped my hand onto my chest, it was beating faster than normal.