Deus Ex Machina

A/N: I ever so slightly cringe looking back at my old work.

She woke in the dark to pain. Pain from her growling stomach. Pain from throbbing headaches. Pain from something heavy on her body from the waist down.

As her eyes adjusted to the dark, she saw what was pressing down on her. A piece of wall or floor had fallen on her. She tried to wiggle free, but her legs had grown numb from however long she was unconscious.

She looked up at her surroundings. She was in a small room bare of any windows, a singular door to her left. The ceiling had a hole in it, so that explains what was on top of her. A feeling of uneasiness filled her head at the thought of the rest of the ceiling crumbling down, crushing her.

A loud growl from her stomach snapped her out of her morbid thoughts, the painful twisting of her gut overriding her headache. She screwed her eyes shut as the growling continued. When the pain faded, she fell asleep.

When she woke up again, she was propped up against a wall somehow. The piece of fallen ceiling was flat on the ground. The sounds of voices interrupted her train of thought.

"I think that's the room where I found the little girl."

"You said that about the last two doors... are you sure, Alex?"

"Yes, I'm sure, Ellie! I recognize the handle-"

"All the doors are the same, you Buckethead!"

"It fell on me one time-!"

The door in front of her opened, revealing a group of three. One of their faces was heavily blurred; Like a watercolor painting that was just finished, but some person maliciously smudged only the face beyond recognition. She blinked owlishly at the trio, eyeing the words above their heads.

[Alexander (Sub-Hero)] Lv. 2

[Terrance (Background Character)] Lv. 4

The female stepped forward, blocking her sight of the two males. The sound of rustling fabric filled her ears as a coat was wrapped around her body. It felt warm...

[Elena (Sub-Heroine)] Lv. 3

"Are you alright, Sweetie..? Alex—" Elena pointed to the unblurred man behind her—" said he found you unconscious earlier."

A loud rumble echoed in the small room before she could speak. "Let's get you some food first," Alexander spoke with a hand covering his mouth, while Terrance was wheezing by the doorway.

She was not expecting Elena to rush up and punch the wheezing man in the stomach.

•~•

[Diane (Heroine)] Lv. 3

A bright golden halo shone over the woman's head; it hurt to look at it with how blindingly bright it was. The heroine- no, Diane- was conversing with the trio, something about the dwindling rations they had left. She turned a deaf ear to it, continuing to stare at the shining halo. She wanted to bite it.

A few pieces of jerky entered her line of sight, pulling her out of her daze. "Sorry, little one... We'll get you better food once we get to [City F]." As the jerky was placed in her hands, she debated how rude it would be to ask why a city's name was "F". She nibbled on the meat, glancing at the adult who gave her the jerky.

[Quinn (Background Character)] Lv. 1

The light blur smeared across their visage made her pause, but she shook her head and gave a small "thank you" to the other. The light pat on her head made her want to hide. She shoved the last of the jerky into her mouth, her teeth aching to bite something else. Her temples throbbed again.