Chapter Two: All That Grace

Chérie's POV

I walked down the street and closer to Cannibal Town, my hands swaying at my side as I took quick steps. The other demons who resided here filled the streets with large smiles and dark, empty eyes. Each one was immersed in enjoying the closest breathing thing near them.

Walking through this town and watching the others made me feel at ease, and a smile began to form on my face.

"Chérie, is that you?"

I stopped walking when I heard my name, looking slightly up and around.

"Oh, my goodness! It is you!" A musical voice rang loudly through the crowd.

"Rosie!" I called out and ran forward, ready to embrace the taller demoness. She enveloped me in a warm lavender scent as she wrapped her arms around me. I couldn't help but hold on tight, not yet ready to let go.

"It's been so long. How have you been?" Rosie let go of me and grabbed one of my hands.

"Well...same as usual, I suppose." I gave her a fake grin.

"Oh, honey-bug. Why don't we go get some tea and talk, hmm?" She looked at me expectantly, giving my hand a few gentle squeezes.

I laughed and urged her to walk forward. "Okay, sounds like a good idea to me. I have not eaten anything all day and I'm absolutely starved."

"I have just the thing for you!" Rosie started walking back to her Emporium, humming an old tune.

A short walk from our location led us to Rosie's Emporium, and the closer we got, the louder my stomach growled. The kindhearted Overlord was among my closest friends, and I was grateful for her warm welcome despite the time that had passed since we last met. Rosie had a nurturing side, always ready to chat and lend an ear when I needed her support the most. Plus, she was excellent at keeping secrets. She made me feel safe.

"Here, sit." She pulled out a chair. "I will go get the treats."

"I can help, Rosie." I turned to face her.

"No, no! You sit right there. I will be right back, honey-bug." She hurried off towards the door on the far left side of the room.

I pulled out the chair and winced every time it made a loud scraping sound against the hardwood floor, I pinned my ears to my head. Ugh, I hated that sound; it was like nails on a chalkboard. I moved to the other side of the chair, sat down without pushing it closer to the table, and crossed my legs, placing my hands in my lap. I felt a bit nervous about talking to Rosie. It's not like I had anything super important to tell her, but I did have a few secrets of my own to share.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard the door squeak open. "Welcome back!"

"I have some freshly brewed sweet tea and a small selection of fingers and cheese for us to enjoy. Does that sound good?"

I swore my mouth began to water. "Oh, my! It sounds delicious. Hurry over!"

"I knew you would say that!" Rosie set the plate and pitcher on the table, then sat down. "Okay, tell me everything."

I had barely swallowed my bite when I said, "Well, I don't even know where to start. You've known about my deal with Vox and Valentino from the start, and honestly, it's been pretty much the same with that. But!" I quickly set down my glass and clasped my hands together. "Vox convinced me to bring Lucifer in as a client, so there's that."

"Wait, Lucifer? The King of Hell?" Rosie placed both hands on the table and looked me right in the eyes.

"Yes! The King of Hell," I giggled.